Rate this topic

Bob's Red Mill has some gluten-free grits.

grits are fine for the gluten-free diet. What you need to watch is cross-con. I for one react to Bob's Red Mill products gluten-free or not.I believe Hodgson Mills may have grits that are organic which again doesn't mean they are certified gluten-free...

I am new to all of this - can you just eat the Quaker instant grits - looked on the ingredients and didn't see any of the malt, barley, wheat, etc. does that mean it's okay? Thank you! I am trying to learn!

I am new to all of this - can you just eat the Quaker instant grits - looked on the ingredients and didn't see any of the malt, barley, wheat, etc. does that mean it's okay? Thank you! I am trying to learn!

As you'll read, everyone's sensitivity varies. My two young sons have celiac and we're just over a month into the gluten-free lifestyle. This is what the dietician told us to start out with. She suggested buying flours from dedicated facilities as the risk of contamination is too high. Otherwise, go by the label. If it doesn't say wheat, barley, rye, malt, oats, then we're good to go. If their 3 month follow-up doesn't show the improvement they'd like, then we have to look more closely at cross contamination and manufacturing processes. Hope that helps!

Quaker says that their grits cannot be considered/guaranteed gluten free, as there may be cross contamination. I think this is true of all Quaker products (certainly true of their rice cakes).

Alex