Oxalis

Accidental Gluten Advice Sought

Rate this topic

Went out to dinner and despite careful discussion with server, I am assuming I ingested a goodly amount of wheat. I suspect it because the same dessert on a previous occasion I could not have because it had some flour, and yet this server confirmed it had no flour (should've gone with my instincts). Sigh.

I know, from my uncle's experiences, that it seems the symptoms are so much worse once you are gluten free and accidentally ingest than they were before diagnosis.

However, I would be grateful for any suggestions to alleviate or somehow resolve the symptoms more quickly than not. I see that fennel tea and possibly digestive enzymes are options.

Day 1 was constipation and not much else, but Day 2 and now 3 are headache, fogginess, bright red blood (not much, thin coating really) in stools, lower right abdominal ache, right hip and back pain. I am miserable.

Would it help to go with liquids for 12 hours to give my poor colon a chance to heal? Obviously I am not eating gluten and have been completely gluten-free (except for accidental) for almost two years.

Thanks for any advice!

Went out to dinner and despite careful discussion with server, I am assuming I ingested a goodly amount of wheat. I suspect it because the same dessert on a previous occasion I could not have because it had some flour, and yet this server confirmed it had no flour (should've gone with my instincts). Sigh.

I know, from my uncle's experiences, that it seems the symptoms are so much worse once you are gluten free and accidentally ingest than they were before diagnosis.

However, I would be grateful for any suggestions to alleviate or somehow resolve the symptoms more quickly than not. I see that fennel tea and possibly digestive enzymes are options.

Day 1 was constipation and not much else, but Day 2 and now 3 are headache, fogginess, bright red blood (not much, thin coating really) in stools, lower right abdominal ache, right hip and back pain. I am miserable.

Would it help to go with liquids for 12 hours to give my poor colon a chance to heal? Obviously I am not eating gluten and have been completely gluten-free (except for accidental) for almost two years.

Thanks for any advice!

I live by a simple motto, if I can't identify the source or i don't trust the source I don't eat it. Remember restuarants are in business to make sales,this has been my experience. So "WHEN IN DOUBT LEAVE IT OUT"

Good Luck

I like to eat peppermints for a tender tummy and I like Constent Comment tea. I usually take additional B12 on those days, it helps a little with the brain fog and neuro symptoms. I usually am starving those days, so I make sure I have plenty of safe foods to eat. I especially like broth with rice noodles and a little chicken.

From my experience, fish helps a lot. I mean, a lot. I once had a day, before going gluten-free, where I felt horrible the whole day but had fish for dinner. I felt fantastic the entire rest of the night.

Some say that fish contains naturally occurring L-glutamine, and that's the reason why. If that's the case, try some L-glutamine (careful, for some reason, some versions contain gluten, due to the fact that it's not just Celiacs who take it). Eat chewable L-glutamine or take L-glutamine pills, but either way, have lots of it and it should help the symptoms resolve faster.

And try eating fish if possible. It's nature's L-glutamine source.