KarenFe

Apple Cake Help Needed

Rate this topic

I made a delicious apple cake substituting, cup for cup, Better Batter for the 3 cups of flour called for in the recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...Frosting-355219

While the cake turned out tasty, the density was not what I wanted it to be. I followed the directions on the BB box stating it was a cup for cup substitution, but it was a pretty dense or compacted cake and not light and fluffy. What can I do next time to get a better consistency?

Thanks!

Karen

I've never used that particular mix, but I looked at the ingredients of the Better Batter as well as the recipe and I wouldn't do anything different. Sometimes overmixing gluten-free batters make them incredibly dense. Sometimes the conversion to gluten-free doesn't translate :rolleyes:

I have an amazing applesauce spice cake recipe made with Pamela's if you're interested. It basically melts in your mouth!

Thanks for the help.

celiac-mommy, the density may very well have been from over mixing. I let that thing mix and mix. I'll try it again with much less mixing and see how it turns out next time. Of course, I'm always for a delicious recipe and would love to try a new one.

Thanks!

I have baked several cakes with the better batter and all were light and fluffy. I did make a banana cake, but by nature it was a dense cake. The chocolate and yellow cakes I have made were awesome. Maybe the apple cake is just a dense cake to begin with. I also just mix until blended.

Taking a look at the recipe, the alterations I'd try include cutting back on the butter, like 1/2 or 1/4, and increasing the baking powder to 1 tsp per cup of flour. Using a baking powder which has sodium acid pyrophosphate should help, since it won't lose its fizz while you mix the batter. Otherwise it's a race to get the batter into the pan before the fizz is all gone. Blending the other ingredients first before adding the baking powder may help, since the binders will have had some time to develop their sticky properties, thus can hold the gas bubbles more effectively.

Thanks for the help.

celiac-mommy, the density may very well have been from over mixing. I let that thing mix and mix. I'll try it again with much less mixing and see how it turns out next time. Of course, I'm always for a delicious recipe and would love to try a new one.

Thanks!

Bake 350, 25-30 minutes for muffins, 40-45 for 9x13 cake

2c of applesauce (or drained, shredded zucchini, mashed bananas, canned pumpkin, etc...)

4 eggs

3/4 c sugar (I like brown best)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

2c Pamelas pancake/baking mix

Add ingredients in order, mixing well until adding the Pamelas-then just mix until combined, spray muffin tins or cake pan before filling with batter. Makes about 18 muffins or a 9x13 cake