Sandi*

Why Do I Feel Worse?

Rate this topic

My biopsy was a week ago, on 9/30, and the doctor said I could start eating gluten-free right after. I couldn't wait, I expected to feel better right away. Instead, I actually feel worse, I'm really bloated and have that typical stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I didn't have this pain during my 7-week gluten challenge (before that I was eating wheat-light but not gluten-free).

I don't get it -I removed something from my diet, not added, so why do I feel worse? I replaced bread with rice-based products which should digest easier anyway. I'm not eating any bean-based products, I haven't added raw veggies, my gluten-free replacements have been mostly rice cakes so far.....so why am I in pain if the only dietary change was giving up wheat (also cookies and other gluteney junk).

Can anyone relate?

My biopsy was a week ago, on 9/30, and the doctor said I could start eating gluten-free right after. I couldn't wait, I expected to feel better right away. Instead, I actually feel worse, I'm really bloated and have that typical stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I didn't have this pain during my 7-week gluten challenge (before that I was eating wheat-light but not gluten-free).

I don't get it -I removed something from my diet, not added, so why do I feel worse? I replaced bread with rice-based products which should digest easier anyway. I'm not eating any bean-based products, I haven't added raw veggies, my gluten-free replacements have been mostly rice cakes so far.....so why am I in pain if the only dietary change was giving up wheat (also cookies and other gluteney junk).

Can anyone relate?

Some people undergo withdrawal symptoms after quitting gluten, though as you were eating it lightly before, this seems unlikely. If the rice cakes represent an increase in your fiber consumption, you may just need to drink more water. I found about this one the hard way. Sorry not to have any more useful suggestions; here's the Mayo Clinic's Symptom Checker for abdominal pain: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-c...ominal%2520pain

Well I had a similar problem when I first went gluten free and my problem wasn't when I stopped eating gluten but how long it took my body to purge gluten. For instance if you've been constipated the last few weeks the gluten (no matter how small the amount) is moving very slowly through your system. Give it a few weeks to clear out and you should start feeling a bit better.

non healed intestines it took about 2 weeks to get over a small dose of gluten that I accidentally ingested

healed instestines around 1 week sometimes less now.

Good luck hope you feel better