redsidekick

Breakfast

Rate this topic

Since going gluten free I have diligent about going out to eat, usually only eating in places that have a designated gluten free menu. The one meal that has been difficult has been breakfast. It used to be my favorite meal of the day and I would often get up early on my days off an enjoy a large breakfast at a local breakfast shop. I hesitate to do that now.

Any suggestions on chain restaurants with gluten-free breakfast menus or advice about ordering breakfast at diners and/or other restaurants. Could I get something other than a fruit cup and coffee?

If you are a 'regular' at a cafe type breakfast restaurant - usually they will try to accommodate you. I still get eggs with cheese & veggies and potatoes, no toast. When I come in now, they put a separate, clean pan on the grill just for me. Very little risk of cross contamination that way. I'd say just ask if you can have your breakfast made in a new, cleaned pan - they will more than likely be happy to oblige. Going that extra mile is what keeps customers and gives them that grass roots good reputation.

Maybe you could start a new tradition. After going gluten-free, I used to(have diabetes now so stopped) get up early on Sat. and make fresh gluten-free waffles for kiddo and I and serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit or fruit sauce. YUM! :) We really enjoyed and looked forward to it. Maybe having breakfast at home and then hitting the farmers' market could be a new tradition. We've done that too. Enjoy the music, bring home some especially good, fresh, in season, veg. or fruit or artisinal cheese.