Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about two months ago and am doing fine. I just had soy beans today and an hour later my stomach feels like it is bloated like it did before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. What are symptoms if you are allergic to soy too and does it cause the same damage that gluten does?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about two months ago and am doing fine. I just had soy beans today and an hour later my stomach feels like it is bloated like it did before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. What are symptoms if you are allergic to soy too and does it cause the same damage that gluten does?

Here is a quote from a page I can't copy:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/405488_2

Although villous atrophy is not exclusive of celiac disease, it is considered a crucial finding. Other causes of blunted villi include tropical sprue, malnutrition, intolerance to cow's milk, soy protein intolerance, and infectious gastroenteritis. However, most of these conditions can be readily excluded on the basis of clinical history and laboratory data.

Many people here have issues with soy as well.

i can't do soy. makes my head hurt, makes me nauseaous and my stomach burns. like a 'mild' glutening because it only lasts a couple hours, not days. not so pleasant :(