This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Taking Prevacid

tfrankenberger

tfrankenberger Apprentice

Do any of your Celiac kids take Prevacid along with a gluten free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AJSmom Rookie
Do any of your Celiac kids take Prevacid along with a gluten free diet?

My DS is also on Prevacid.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I'm not a kid, well, maybe a big kid... I do take Prevacid along with the gluten free diet. I had really bad acid reflux that wasn't controlled by Prilosec so they did the upper endoscopy. I was then diagnosed with the Celiac just last month. The doctor started me on the Prevacid two weeks ago. It seems I have a lot of damage to my esophagus & stomach for all the gluten I was eating. My doctor told me it takes two weeks to feel some relief. Also, he told me I'll have to be on it for 8 weeks to completely heal everything & then will try to stop them. But if I still have the reflux I might have to be on a "maintenance dose." I'm hoping not... I don't want to be on medication all the time. But, I guess, whatever makes me get better...

I hope you this helps. :)

Raven's Mum Newbie

Raven just started Losec, which is similar. She was on ranitadine for years but it wasn't cutting it. When they did the celiac biospy, that's when they noticed esophogus damage from reflux and decided to switch her.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter was on Prevacid for acid reflux and it wasn't completely controlling it . . . that's when they sent us to a ped GI resulting in an endoscopy and a screening for Celiac (among other things). We were completely surprised by the Celiac diagnosis. She remained on Prevacid for quite some time (4 or 5 months?) after switching over to gluten free. She's not on it anymore.

chiroptera Apprentice

For one of my twin now gluten free daughters, GERD was her primary Celiac symptom. Her identical twin had more of the "typical" digestive issues. My daughter was put on prevacid for a little while and she got somewhat better but not enough for me. She went gluten-free on June 11 and just now she is basically 98 percent free of GERD. We also did some Enterolab stool testing on own and found out she is also casein and egg intolerant. Being off those foods has really helped. If she gets some casein or egg (like in a baked product) she gets acid reflux again.

I was on prevacid for over 10 years. I also went gluten-free in June and oh my gosh, I have no GERD at all! I am SO amazed. Our family does not like taking drugs of any kind and am I was so upset that my child was headed down my GERD path. But no more! :)

I just want to mention to you (because no doctor told me) that prevacid and other ppi drugs can do a whammy on your stomach acid. It depletes it so much and what happened to me what that I was on an antibiotic and ended up very ill (in hospital for a week) with an overgrowth of the C. Difficule A and B toxins. I was a healthy 35 year old adult and the doctors were amazed I was so sick.

I'm certainly not saying this to scare anyone, but should anyone need to take antibiotics with their ppi drugs, please make sure you take some probiotics as well.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Many of us on this board have found that our reflux was CAUSED by the celiac.

Acid blockers controlled the reflux, BUT (and this is a BIG BUT):

Acid blockers tend to be addictive. Literally. There is a HUGE rebound effect if you try to quit cold turkey, which can convince you that you really NEED the acid blocker. This is not listed in the package insert, and my GI doc knew NOTHING about this(although she does now).

If you've been taking acid blockers long-term, you will almost certainly need to wean off. Cut the dosage in half instead of quitting outright. A week or two later, cut it in half again.

Another major problem with acid blockers is that they can cause B12 deficiency. Again, this is not in the package insert, and this was also something my GI doc had never heard of. But it's on every B12 deficiency site, and every Pernicious Anemia site as one of the top risks for B12 deficiency, because in order to properly absorb B12, you need acid.

Celiacs are already at major risk for B12 deficiency, due to malabsorption.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NewGFMom Contributor

My son has been taking it going on six months now to resolve some unexplained belly pain. It's helping quite a bit.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Aventine
    Newest Member
    Aventine
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Anmol
      Thanks this is helpful. Couple of follow -ups- that critical point till it stays silent is age dependent or dependent on continuing to eat gluten. In other words if she is on gluten-free diet can she stay on silent celiac disease forever?    what are the most cost effective yet efficient test to track the inflammation/antibodies and see if gluten-free is working . 
    • trents
      Welcome to the community forum, @Anmol! There are a number of blood antibody tests that can be administered when diagnosing celiac disease and it is normal that not all of them will be positive. Three out of four that were run for you were positive. It looks pretty conclusive that you have celiac disease. Many physicians will only run the tTG-IGA test so I applaud your doctor for being so thorough. Note, the Immunoglobulin A is not a test for celiac disease per se but a measure of total IGA antibody levels in your blood. If this number is low it can cause false negatives in the individual IGA-based celiac antibody tests. There are many celiacs who are asymptomatic when consuming gluten, at least until damage to the villous lining of the small bowel progresses to a certain critical point. I was one of them. We call them "silent" celiacs".  Unfortunately, being asymptomatic does not equate to no damage being done to the villous lining of the small bowel. No, the fact that your wife is asymptomatic should not be viewed as a license to not practice strict gluten free eating. She is damaging her health by doing so and the continuing high antibody test scores are proof of that. The antibodies are produced by inflammation in the small bowel lining and over time this inflammation destroys the villous lining. Continuing to disregard this will catch up to her. While it may be true that a little gluten does less harm to the villous lining than a lot, why would you even want to tolerate any harm at all to it? Being a "silent" celiac is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in the sense of being able to endure some cross contamination in social settings without embarrassing repercussions. It's a curse in that it slows down the learning curve of avoiding foods where gluten is not an obvious ingredient, yet still may be doing damage to the villous lining of the small bowel. GliadinX is helpful to many celiacs in avoiding illness from cross contamination when eating out but it is not effective when consuming larger amounts of gluten. It was never intended for that purpose. Eating out is the number one sabotager of gluten free eating. You have no control of how food is prepared and handled in restaurant kitchens.  
    • knitty kitty
      Forgot one... https://www.hormonesmatter.com/eosinophilic-esophagitis-sugar-thiamine-sensitive/
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @ekelsay! Yes, your tTG-IGA score is strongly positive for celiac disease. There are other antibody tests that can be run when diagnosing celiac disease but the tTG-IGA is the most popular with physicians because it combines good sensitivity with good specificity, and it is a relatively inexpensive test to perform. The onset of celiac disease can happen at any stage of life and the size of the score is not necessarily an indicator of the progress of the disease. It is likely that you you experienced onset well before you became aware of symptoms. It often takes 10 years or more to get a diagnosis of celiac disease after the first appearance of symptoms. In my case, the first indicator was mildly elevated liver enzymes that resulted in a rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross at age 37. There was no GI discomfort at that point, at least none that I noticed. Over time, other lab values began to get out of norm, including decreased iron levels. My PCP was at a complete loss to explain any of this. I finally scheduled an appointment with a GI doc because the liver enzymes concerned me and he tested me right away for celiac disease. I was positive and within three months of gluten free eating my liver enzymes were back to normal. That took 13 years since the rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross. And my story is typical. Toward the end of that period I had developed some occasional diarrhea and oily stool but no major GI distress. Many celiacs do not have classic GI symptoms and are "silent" celiacs. There are around 200 symptoms that have been associated with celiac disease and many or most of them do not involve conscious GI distress. Via an autoimmune process, gluten ingestion triggers inflammation in the villous lining of the small bowel which damages it over time and inhibits the ability of this organ to absorb the vitamins and minerals in the food we ingest. So, that explains why those with celiac disease often suffer iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis and a host of other vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical issues. The villous lining of the small bowel is where essentially all of our nutrition is absorbed. So, yes, anemia is one of the classic symptoms of celiac disease. One very important thing you need to be aware of is that your PCP may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining to confirm the results of the blood antibody testing. So, you must not begin gluten free eating until that is done or at least you know they are going to diagnose you with celiac disease without it. If you start gluten free eating now there will be healing in the villous lining that will begin to take place which may compromise the results of the biopsy.
    • Anmol
      Hello all- my wife was recently diagnosed with Celiac below are her blood results. We are still absorbing this.  I wanted to seek clarity on few things:  1. Her symptoms aren't extreme. She was asked to go on gluten free diet a couple years ago but she did not completely cut off gluten. Partly because she wasn't seeing extreme symptoms. Only bloating and mild diarrhea after a meal full of gluten.  Does this mean that she is asymptomatic but enormous harm is done with every gram of gluten.? in other words is amount gluten directly correlated with harm on the intestines? or few mg of gluten can be really harmful to the villi  2. Why is she asymptomatic?  3. Is Gliadin X safe to take and effective for Cross -contamination or while going out to eat?  4. Since she is asymptomatic, can we sometimes indulge in a gluten diet? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deamidated Gliadin, IgG - 64 (0-19) units tTG IgA -  >100 (0-3) U/ml tTG IgG - 4   (0-5) Why is this in normal range? Endomysial Antibody - Positive  Immunoglobulin A - 352 (87-352) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Thanks for help in advance, really appreciate!