1morething

How Long Does A Gluten Reaction Last?

Rate this topic

Last Thursday night while away from home on a business trip, I had a Southwest salad with grilled chicken from McDonalds. I specifically told them I has a gluten allergy and asked them what was in salad. Well when I got back to my hotel to eat the salad, as I was eating, I looked up the ingredients online. Well the chicken had wheat and barley gluten in it. I imediately stopped eating the chicken, took it out of the salad, but of course the salad was now contaminated. Well I've been Celiac for a year now and I was Asymptomatic when diagnosed so I never paid too much attention to the cross-contamination. Well, did I feel this one, I was bloated and crampy on Friday, had D on Saturday - Monday and Tuesday I felt nausious, threw up and D and I still have D today .

Do you think I'm nausious and have D because of the Glutening or did I catch a bug??

Thanks

Rachel

Last Thursday night while away from home on a business trip, I had a Southwest salad with grilled chicken from McDonalds. I specifically told them I has a gluten allergy and asked them what was in salad. Well when I got back to my hotel to eat the salad, as I was eating, I looked up the ingredients online. Well the chicken had wheat and barley gluten in it. I imediately stopped eating the chicken, took it out of the salad, but of course the salad was now contaminated. Well I've been Celiac for a year now and I was Asymptomatic when diagnosed so I never paid too much attention to the cross-contamination. Well, did I feel this one, I was bloated and crampy on Friday, had D on Saturday - Monday and Tuesday I felt nausious, threw up and D and I still have D today .

Do you think I'm nausious and have D because of the Glutening or did I catch a bug??

Thanks

Rachel

I don't know, but the last time I accidentally had some (and it was no where near as much as you've had), it took a good 24 hours to feels mostly normal, and probably closer to 48 to get all the way back to normal. HTH.

I have the same symptoms when I'm glutened. Within 36 hours of ingestion, I know based on how bad I feel. For me, the symptoms always get worse before they get better. Also, it depends on the amount ingested and the condition of my body at that particular time (i.e.: if I've been eating healthy all around, hydrated, and exercising regularly). If I'm healthy, and it was a small amount, I can feel better within a couple days. But if I've been glutened recently, and not practicing healthy habits, it could take a couple weeks.

I find that staying hydrated, eating leafy greens (plain without dressings), and taking probiotics like acidophilus and bifidus helps me. Light exercise helps too. I work with yoga balls to give myself a gentle tummy massage.

Something else that has really helped me in knowing if I have been glutened is keeping a journal or note book with dates, symptoms, and foods eaten within the past few days. It's kinda hard at first, but it became habit for me once I realized how much it helped.

You can only be the judge if it was a glutening or a bug, but based on your post I would say yes, it is a glutening.

-Haley

Last saturday I took a bite of a cookie that I thought was gluten-free but wasn't. I spit it out immediately and washed my mouth out. I started feeling quasi normal again yesterday, and am hoping to be completely well by tomorrow.

the point is, it is different for every individual, and it depends on how much you ate.

feel better soon!!