Kelynn

How Will I Ever Learn It All?

Rate this topic

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with Celiac's. Both the doctor and myself are pretty confident that I have it. I'm waiting to get the results of my bloodwork back, but will be eating gluten-free regardless because I have been for a week or so now and I feel SO much better- my symptoms have disappeared.

I'm one of those people that will be at the library, online and talking with everyone I can to fully educate myself about Celiac's. I'm very health conscious and "do things right" when it comes to eating. I know the big obvious no-no's for Celiac's- bread, pasta, pretzels, cakes, cookies, etc. I'm feeling overwhelmed seeing that things like coctail sauce, soy sauce, etc. can have gluten without having the words "gluten" in the ingredient list. I also feel overwhelmed about how to eat out- things I would think would be "safe" I'm learning may not be.

How will I ever get this all straight? Any words of wisdom for me?

KEEP READING. It's great that you are taking the initiative to do so. Watch out for hidden gluten such as Malt, and be careful about cross-contamination...new toaster, new bread knives, new fry pans...keep reading on this site, there are so many people that can help you and share your feelings. Feel free to email me at d.hoholuk@hotmail.com for meal ideas and recipes, or just to chat!

OK, the first thing you need to do is BREATHE :D This is just something new you have to learn. :D Like times tables or square roots. You get to become a detective!

Seriously, I've only been at this for 4 months, and I am already somewhat of an expert :D My kids just started gluten-free two weeks ago, so I am learning how to bake gluten-free for them. This site is by far more helpful than any book or nutritionist visit, IMO. Everyone here has been through what you are going through and are more than willing to share tips and advice. Consider us your new extended family :P

Though you will find some who disagree with this, I found Elizabeth Hasselback's new book to be very helpful. Ask any questions you have, and you will get help quickly here!