This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burritos Anyone?

GottaSki

GottaSki Mentor

We have been missing flour tortillas - brown rice tortillas work for quesadillas, but are to dry for burritos. At any rate, I tried a recipe for crepes yesterday thinking that at least they are very thin and might work as a flour tortilla substitute. They were fairly close and satisfied our craving for flour tortillas to stuff with carne asada, fish or beans, etc. They were on the smaller side - about 8", so we just made two burritos instead of one. Very happy Celiacs in my house - it's amazing how replacing those last missing items can cheer us. Now if I could find a bread that we truly enjoy in the store - don't mind baking, but don't always have the time for fresh bread.

1 Cup gluten-free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All purpose)

2 eggs

1/2 Cup Milk

1/2 Cup Water

1/4 teaspoon salt (reduced to 1/8 for our second batch)

2 Tablespoon butter, melted

Preheat two 10" non-stick skillets over medium heat. Spray with non-stick (this made our first tortillas greasy, so I didn't add any non-stick once used up)

Whisk together eggs, milk, water, salt and melted butter. Whisk in flour until smooth.

Pour 1/4 cup of batter into preheated pan, swirling well to coat the bottom with a thin layer.

Cook until set and starting to brown. The directions i had called for flipping in the same pain -- I flipped into he second pan.

Continue pouring, swirling and flipping.

Makes 8 tortillas - If you want more make separate batches as the batter thickens upon standing.

We made a second batch to keep in the frig.

Enjoy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast
We have been missing flour tortillas - brown rice tortillas work for quesadillas, but are to dry for burritos.

Yep!! Eggs-Zackly!!! :P

Thanks for sharing. I'll give this a try. Let us know how well they kept.

Anybody got an enchilada sauce brand/recipe that they would like to share?? Had a brand that we love (came in a jar) and can no longer find. Canned sauces taste like . . . ummmm . . . . cans. ;)

Wolicki Enthusiast

THanks for sharing! I will give this a try! For bread, you must try Udis! Delish!

radiantrapunzel1 Rookie
Anybody got an enchilada sauce brand/recipe that they would like to share?? Had a brand that we love (came in a jar) and can no longer find. Canned sauces taste like . . . ummmm . . . . cans. ;)

Here's the recipe I use for enchilada sauce:

1 c. water

1 beef bouillon cube

1 T cornstarch

Put water, boullion cube and corn starch in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then season to taste with chili powder, onion powder, pepper, etc. Should already be salty enough from the boillion cube

GottaSki Mentor

wow...simple enchilada sauce...i'll give that a try...

we make enchiladas with canned verde sauce but add in sugar, chili powder, cumin and ground pepper -- they don't taste like a can -- We did have to switch brands when we went gluten free -- will have to check at home what brand we use now.

"tortilla" update:

The fresh "tortillas" are far superior to the batch we kept in the frig. They crack a bit - not as much as the brown rice type. We have used them for sandwich wraps all week - yummy. When reheated you can make a burrito - just not as pliable as the fresh ones.

GottaSki Mentor

update for the tortillas stored in frig:

microwave for 20-30 seconds and they taste nearly fresh and don't crack when rolling

Archived