lobita

Definition For Disability

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I saw this article on the widening definition for having a disability and it focuses on people being covered with things like diabetes. I was wondering if there could be an effor to get people with celiac disease/gluten intolerance to be included as well?

This is the article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33793152/ns/business-careers/

That is interesting. I would be intrigued to see how this overlays with FMLA, which *does* offer some protection from periodic "disabilities". (I ended up having FMLA paperwork, and using it (for all of two days), due to the fibromyagia. There are limits, of course, and it requires doctor paperwork (which, honestly, my doctor was reluctant to give, as she wanted me to try to maintain work to prevent things from worsening), but is accessible.)

I don't think diabetes in and of itself is considered a disability. I have diabetes and am disabled but I also have fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, venous insufficiency and neuropathy caused by diabetes. More recently was diagnosed with gastroparesis. All these things add up.

Hi all,

I saw this article on the widening definition for having a disability and it focuses on people being covered with things like diabetes. I was wondering if there could be an effor to get people with celiac disease/gluten intolerance to be included as well?

This is the article:

My dad was a diabetic and lost both legs, was in a wheel chair, had eye problems and heart problems and it took him years to get on disability! I couldn't imagine they would consider celiac disease a disability, but then you never know. Someone has a little backache and and we give them disability for the rest of their life. Who knows! :huh:

Hi all,

This is the article:

Disability for SSI? Very hard to get. I know, I am on it. Not for Celiacs, I assure you. Not for Type 1 diabetes, I have that too. I have Class 2 heart failure due to a pituitary tumor (end stage). I have kidney artery damage and am missing most of my pituitary, and only have a 1/3 piece of an adrenal gland left, the other one was taken completely out surgically. That qualifies me. My Disability insurance from work, kicked me out after 2 years, and they don't care if you are almost dead. If you don't fit into the box SSI needs, forget it. I fit into 2 boxes. Even back injuries people have considerable problems with going on disability. Cancer victims have considerable problems going on, as do autoimmune people, (example: Lupus or MS). Look for them to get even tougher.....