buffettbride

Green Bean Casserole For T'giving

Rate this topic

My daughter would like green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. I *love* the stuff but have never made it gluten free. Looks pretty easy to de-gluten according to mosts recipes, but I would love to replicate the frech fried onions.

Any ideas or suggestions? Is there a cracker or something out there that might be a good substitute? If I were to make my own gluten-free french fried onions, what would I do?

Love the last minute notice that she actually likes green bean casserole. :blink:

Somebody here recently mentioned they used Funyuns in place of the French-fried onions. It sounds like it would work very well. Please let us know how it turns out. I haven't made a green bean casserole since going gluten-free.

Oooh! She loves Funions! I will definitely use those!

Funyons rock as an alternative to the french fried onions. Also, if you are using Progresso mushroom soup, you might want to add some corn starch half way through to thicken it up a bit.

I've used this recipe for 3 years now and everyone loves, even the non-gluten people that actcually let have some last year :)

Good luck

I've also used Funyuns. Seemed to work great.

best regards, lm

This is an almost exact replica of the canned onions:

Slice onions very thin and separate into rings.

Soak in milk for about 30 minutes

Shake in a bag of rice flour (not a mixed gluten-free flour) with salt and black pepper.

Fry in deep fat (I use peanut oil) at 360-370 degrees. Watch closely. Thay brown fast.

Drain on brown paper bag or paper towels.

These will stay crisp in a zip lock bag for several days.

• Upvote 1

^^

But , the last time I need FF Onions, we couldn't have them for some reason (maybe CC?? I don't remember).

I don't fry anything though, so I baked them til they were brown. They were great!