This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypo To Hyperthyroidism?

Jennifer2

Jennifer2 Explorer

Hi guys

I was dx with hypothyroid back in 2000. I'd been stable on my meds for the last 5 yrs or so. I get tested once a year, and my TSH levels had always been okay with no adjustments in dose needed.

I was dx with celiac and started gluten-free diet back in July and at the same checkup, my TSH bloodwork showed that it had gone pretty high (hypothyroid), so they increased my thyroid meds. I went back to get another thyroid test 6-8 weeks later, and this time the TSH was really low (hyperthyroid) At that time they had me alternating my old dose (that I went too high on and the new dose which I was too low on). I went back again 6-8 weeks later and I'm still hyper, with little to no improvement in the TSH number.

I'm supposed to go back to the doctor in a week or so to discuss it (instead of just a lower dose prescription which is weird) but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Thanks

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Do you have hashimotos thyroiditis by chance? It can alternate between the two, usually is hypo though. The other possibility is that you are now absorbing your meds better and it is causing it to be hyper. I have had my meds lowered once since going gluten free. That was the first time ever (with the exception of post partum) that has ever happened. My dose is stable now. I am on 112 mcg levothyroxine once a day and 5 mcg cytomel twice a day.

Jennifer2 Explorer

I don't know what "kind" of hypothyroidism I have. It was picked up on a routine blood panel back in 2000 and other than routine TSH tests no one has ever looked into it more. Is there a way to tell if it's hashimotos-although I believe that is the most common type of hypothyroidism, so odds are it is.

I had been on 150mcg levothroid for several years. When I moved and changed Drs they switched it to 150mcg levothyroxin about 2 yrs ago and didn't notice any difference between the 2 brands.

When I was Dx with celiac my TSH was up around 15 so they increased me to 175mcg levothyroxin, which was too much-TSH dropped to ~0.1. Now I'm alternating between 150 and 175 every other day and TSH is still ~0.1.

If it is something like hashimotos causing bouts of hyperthyroidism, wouldn't I have seen it before now?

Hopefully it is just that my meds are being absorbed more and I just need to lower my dosage. Although, would it really happen that fast, I've only been gluten-free for 4mo now?

The sad thing is, I don't think I've felt this good in a very long time! Hopefully that has more to do with going gluten-free to treat celiac than hyperthyroidism!!

Thanks

Jennifer

Roda Rising Star

You need to see a good endocrinologist who will order a TSH, free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibody tests. My last TSH was 0.81 (0.3 - 3.04), free T3 4.20 (2.50 - 3.90), and free T4 1.17 (0.58 - 1.64). I am not having any hyper symptoms at all and my endocrinologist is happy where I am at. The thyroid antibody tests will tell you if it is hashimotos or not. I have been taking thyroid meds since Feb. 2000 and had the antibody tests done while I was pregnant with my first son that same year that confirmed it was hashimotos. The free T3 & free T4 will let the doctor how much hormone is actually circulating. My endo looks at these more than my TSH. When I had my levothyroxine lowered I was having symptoms and the TSH was around 0.08 and my free T3 was alot more elevated. Are you having hyper symptoms like rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, hair falling out or heat intolerance?

Gemini Experienced
The sad thing is, I don't think I've felt this good in a very long time! Hopefully that has more to do with going gluten-free to treat celiac than hyperthyroidism!!

Jennifer

The sad thing is that you are probably not hyperthyroid, unless you are having symptoms of it. Many people, including myself, keep their TSH really suppressed and have T3 and T4 levels in the upper ranges so they feel normal and good. Many docotrs freak out over this and only treat using blood work as a gauge....wrong thing to do! If you feel good and are having no symptoms of hyper thyroid, then you may want to consider keeping your dosage at these levels. They may be right for you.

I had the same experience as you did and have learned over the years to trust what my body is saying and not pay too much attention to how mainstream medicine treats thyroid disease. They generally under treat and then patients walk around feeling draggy. There is a reason you feel so good...partly due to the gluten-free diet and having the correct amount of thyroid hormone also makes a HUGE difference.

Jennifer2 Explorer

Thanks guys!

I'm going to the Dr on Monday, so I'll suggest the T3/T4/antibody tests. I don't think we have an endocrinologist in my town, I'd have to drive about an hr to go to one.

I have to say, I've been very impressed by this doc so far. When I went in for my last annual check up (first time I saw her), she asked all sorts of questions about how I was feeling. When I mentioned that I'd had been having lots of GI problems, her first question was if anyone in my family had celiac. I said "what?". She ordered lots of tests looking for parasites, antibiotic causes, and lots of blood tests (about 5 tubes worth), obviously celiac came back positive.

As far as symptoms, I don't think I've had any hyper symptoms. I even had a pretty extensive work physical about 2 weeks ago and my heart rate and BP were both in the low end of the normal range. I also had to do the lung function test and tested in the upper percentile for my age range. My TSH was low that time also. I've lost a few pounds, but I've been trying and it's a healthy weight loss of about 1lb per week. (All these diseases with weight loss as a symptom, how come I never get THAT symptom :lol: )

Hopefully, the fact that she wants me to come in, instead of just lowering my dose, suggests to me that she has something else in mind.

Jennifer

Roda Rising Star
Thanks guys!

I'm going to the Dr on Monday, so I'll suggest the T3/T4/antibody tests. I don't think we have an endocrinologist in my town, I'd have to drive about an hr to go to one.

Don't forget that you need to ask for free T3 and free T4. If necessary, it would be worth the hour drive for a good endocrinologist. I also agree with Gemini. The other tests can help you to determine this along with how you are feeling.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived