Shess0816

This Might Be A Stupid Question....

Rate this topic

I've seen quite a few people on this forum talking about avoiding nightshade foods. I know this might be a dumb question, so I'm really sorry if it's obvious or has been discussed lots of times, but what are nightshade foods and why do some people avoid them?

Thanks!!

I was asking the same thing not long ago and then when I read the answer, it was a real V-8 moment, lol. Nightshades......peppers! I have no idea why but it seems that alot of us have issues with them....and things that are strongly spiced. Maybe it's our "compromised" digestion??? Perhaps someone else will be able to answer that one.

Some people will have an inflammatory response to them. The nightshade family includes peppers, potatoes and eggplant and perhaps some others.

Not a stupid question at all. As a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer on top of celiac I can state without a doubt through experience that nightshades cause a pretty severe inflammatory response if I eat any.

Nightshades include Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tobacco that I know of. Eliminating them from my diet has definitely improved my overall health even though I really miss them as the only ones I didn't consume regularly were eggplant and tobacco.

CS

Not a stupid question at all. As a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer on top of celiac I can state without a doubt through experience that nightshades cause a pretty severe inflammatory response if I eat any.

Nightshades include Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tobacco that I know of. Eliminating them from my diet has definitely improved my overall health even though I really miss them as the only ones I didn't consume regularly were eggplant and tobacco.

CS

Ok, that makes sense! Thank you guys for all the responses! I wasn't sure if it was something I was just supposed to know about already or not! :o)

There are no stupid questions here...

There are so very many questions, small to large, when starting gluten free -- this is the perfect place to come, ask and receive a quick answer to remove those many small to large worries from your transition to gluten-free???