chilligirl

My Family Is So Great!

Rate this topic

I just have to say, I feel so lucky that my family is so supportive of my being gluten free. Dh is always picking up little gluten-free products he finds (like today he got me gluten-free donuts - yum!). He also is really aware of what he's eaten, and won't kiss me on the lips if he's eaten something with gluten until he's brushed his teeth and washed his face. He's also really careful about washing his hands after eating.

On top of that, my in-laws invited us to a large (18 guests!) dinner party at their house Saturday night. I got there and was so nicely surprised to find that they'd done a tone of gluten-free shopping. They had one whole counter of gluten free appetizers, there were tons of gluten free foods for dinner, and they made up a special plate of gluten-free desserts.

And, since I'm knocked up, they had lots of alcohol and gluten-free drinks for me too.

How lucky am I?

As it happened, I did get glutened though, lol. It was the ribs. I saw them, they were the St. Louis-style ribs they usually get (soooo yummy). I asked, "you're sure these are gluten free?", and they said "yep, no wheat, barley, malt, or soy sauce listed in the ingredients". I think they must've just missed them - there's pretty much ALWAYS wheat-containing soya sauce in barbecue sauce. I ate them, knowing they were too good to be true, and paid the price. *sigh*

You are very blessed! Some soy sauces are gluten-free but many aren't. I had to snicker at your use of 'dh' meaning your husband. I'm in another online community, Cafemom, and that's normal there. But in here it refers to a skin condition, dermatitis her---- something. Hoe you get over the ribs soon!

How wonderful for you. I'm happy to see some one else has a supportive family. All of my family and friends are totally supportive. (Of cours, watching me almost die opened some eyes!) I wish you could see the picture my 8 & 10 year old granddaughters sent me. It was captioned "We've got your back." They were in the grocery store holding up packages of gluten free foods.