carecare

Is Dh Like Shingles?

Rate this topic

My husband went gluten free back in October but Thanksgiving he cheated and had cookies and pies. He payed for it for a couple weeks. I also found out he wasn't buying gluten free lunch meat. Now, he has started with a rash on his back. I'm not sure what it looks like but he emailed me today saying "I think I have shingles...it's on fire"...the rash on his back that is. So I sent him two articles...one on DH and one on Shingles. He's never been tested for Celiac ..hates drs but has had issues for years and years and finally came to the realization that gluten bothers him.

So reading the description of both Shingles and Dh they are similar. He just emailed me back saying it's not itchy it's just painful. Wondering what the main difference between Shingles and Dh would be.

Thanks,

CC

My husband went gluten free back in October but Thanksgiving he cheated and had cookies and pies. He payed for it for a couple weeks. I also found out he wasn't buying gluten free lunch meat. Now, he has started with a rash on his back. I'm not sure what it looks like but he emailed me today saying "I think I have shingles...it's on fire"...the rash on his back that is. So I sent him two articles...one on DH and one on Shingles. He's never been tested for Celiac ..hates drs but has had issues for years and years and finally came to the realization that gluten bothers him.

So reading the description of both Shingles and Dh they are similar. He just emailed me back saying it's not itchy it's just painful. Wondering what the main difference between Shingles and Dh would be.

Thanks,

CC

I don't know much about shingles, but perhaps this site will help you. It has a description and some pictures. I think (but could be wrong) that a shingles rash will be one-sided, unlike DH, which tends to occur symmetrically on the body. HTH!

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Herpes+zoster

Michelle in Tn

I don't think DH and shingles are at all alike. DH is itchy, itchy, itchy and usually is in the form of clear blisters. Shingles is just flat-out painful.

richard

I have had shingles three times...twice this year alone. Shingles doesn't itch very much. It does burn/sting. Mostly though you will be in pain. Nerve pain. It's a very unusual feeling and it's extremely uncomfortable. Shingles is typically limited to one side of the body so it would be either on the left or right of his back and shouldn't cross over to the other side. It also travels the nerve pathways so it will usually make a ring of blisters around half his torso. He needs to go to the doctor ASAP because the sooner shingles is treated the less likely you are to have lasting nerve damage.

Thanks. I don't think it's either shingles or DH. He came home from work and there was a rash in a circle on his upper arm...toward the tricep....about 3 inches in diameter but it wasn't blistery at all...just a slight generalized rash. His skin was super sensitive and it was painful but nothing else...and it hasn't progressed into anything. fwew....I think I jumped the gun there...with his description through email I thought for sure it was worse than it actually was :P

CC

I have had shingles three times...twice this year alone. Shingles doesn't itch very much. It does burn/sting. Mostly though you will be in pain. Nerve pain. It's a very unusual feeling and it's extremely uncomfortable. Shingles is typically limited to one side of the body so it would be either on the left or right of his back and shouldn't cross over to the other side. It also travels the nerve pathways so it will usually make a ring of blisters around half his torso. He needs to go to the doctor ASAP because the sooner shingles is treated the less likely you are to have lasting nerve damage.