The Fluffy Assassin

Wheat! Hunh! What Is It Good For?!...

Rate this topic

As I've mentioned here and there, I've been having continuing and annoying problems with pins and needles in the hands and feet. The pins and needles of old gluten-eating vitamin B-12 depleted days wandered all over the place; this is something different. I'm not sure, but it may be that it's due to a vitamin E deficiency. I had quit my multivitamin and for some dang reason that probably seemed to make some kind of sense at the time also quit eating nuts and beans. And, uh, greens. So I probably developed a shortfall in vitamins E and K, though only the former is usually blamed for pins and needles in the extremities. Restarted the multivitamins, the nuts, the beans and the greens and pins and needles have gone away. But I bring it up because the very best source of vitamin E is wheat germ. So if, before gluten freedom, you were a great eater of whole wheat products, it's probably extra important to keep up your multivitamin regimen, or your beans and nuts. Is this where that "vital" in Vital Wheat Gluten comes from? Turns out not; almost no gluten in wheat germ.

Here's where you find vitamin E: http://ods.od.nih.gov/FACTSHEETS/VITAMINE.ASP#h3 Almonds and safflower oil are your friends.