This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Associated Intolerances How To Figure Out Also Fiber?

jensey

jensey Apprentice

I am aware dairy is generally a big issue for many people with celiac and I lived without it for 3 months before I tried and thought I could invite it into my diet again. Mind you I don't drink milk, but mmmm creamy cheeses did me in. I know everyone is different but are there other common intolerance's aside from dairy that I should watch out for? I discovered long before I was diagnosed or had symptoms of celiac that iceberg lettuce is not my friend. I am still trying to decipher what else in my diet is causing significant issues with my digestive tract.

I wonder if in general GREENS are hard for those with celiac disease during the beginning healing stages. I am recovering from either too much cheese or work related glutening and after eating lettuce today when I saw it later (in the toilet) I wonder if greens are good for us as we recover. I have read that enterolab can decipher other intlerances, but I cannot afford those tests right now so info regarding how you found out what you could not tolerate in yur diet would be useful to me.

I look forward to the day (should be soon) when I can say I am away from gluten completely. I work around flour currently so it makes it difficult to determine if it is my diet or my environment that is causing my regression. I still look forward to any and all input anyone will take the time to give to me.

HAppy new year to all,

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

you may be suffering from what is called "leaky gut", which I did too. When you first start realizing you are having difficulties digesting things, your intestines are described as looking like swiss cheese. The lettuce and greens will naturally be hard on them and not digest well. I also have many other intolerances but I did get my "leaky gut" healed and it helped ALOT. Until you do, you will suffer with digestion issues with things you should be able to eat. Since dairy is a problem for me, I had to find an acidolphilus supplement that is dairy-free and gluten-free (www.kirkmanlabs.com) and took one in the morning and one in the evening for 2 wks. I could see a marked difference in that time. I still take one a day. And if I feel like I've gotten "glutened" or affected by some of my other intolerances, I take a second one/day for a couple of days and it seems to help get me over the hump a little. Get your gut healed and you will find that you can digest some of those foods alot easier. And perhaps you will find you aren't intolerant to as much as you think you are!!!

mushroom Proficient

The cruciferous family of vegetables is hard to digest for all, but particularly for a tender gut. This includes broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Things like apple and tomato skins are very hard to digest and best avoided at first. If you actually have a specific intolerance to another food it will generally show up with other symptoms rather than just passing through undigested. It will either give you "glutened"-like symptoms, itching, headaches or some other bodily manifestation, depending on how your particular body reacts, to give you a clue something is not well.

Healing is a slow process and you will continue to have less than perfect digestion for some time. It is generally not necessary to go looking for other intolerances if your body is not screaming out to you. That being said, soy is often an additional intolerance, along with the casein which you have discovered. Whilst you are working around flour it is very hard for you to say you are gluten free and thus not continuing to harm yourself.

• 2 months later...
jensey Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I an responding in such an untimely manner.

I have, since my last post, found a GI doc (who I think is GREAT) and been diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I have EXACTLY what my father has, we essentially got the onset of symptoms around the same time as well(he was diagnosed with cancer and my grams was passing ...a stressful time for me). Anyway I just started NSAIDS for treatment of colitis (Pops had to do the steroids).While I have only been on the NSAIDS for 1 1/2 weeks I have not noticed any significant difference, but I am still in the bakery (ARGH). I appreciate the time yu took and your input. I hope t find relief soon, but regardless there are worse things to be afflicted with and living a gluten free diet is not an issue, gluten free life is still in the works.

Thanks for your time. Sorry I didn't post any updates til now.

I wish you well!

Jen

you may be suffering from what is called "leaky gut", which I did too. When you first start realizing you are having difficulties digesting things, your intestines are described as looking like swiss cheese. The lettuce and greens will naturally be hard on them and not digest well. I also have many other intolerances but I did get my "leaky gut" healed and it helped ALOT. Until you do, you will suffer with digestion issues with things you should be able to eat. Since dairy is a problem for me, I had to find an acidolphilus supplement that is dairy-free and gluten-free (www.kirkmanlabs.com) and took one in the morning and one in the evening for 2 wks. I could see a marked difference in that time. I still take one a day. And if I feel like I've gotten "glutened" or affected by some of my other intolerances, I take a second one/day for a couple of days and it seems to help get me over the hump a little. Get your gut healed and you will find that you can digest some of those foods alot easier. And perhaps you will find you aren't intolerant to as much as you think you are!!!

Archived