isitreally

Are These "Detox" Symptoms?

Rate this topic

A little background: I was diagnosed with a "gluten allergy" over a year ago, but didn't take all the precautions I should have because the word celiac was not used. I did, however make a great effort to get educated and stay gluten free at home.

This month, after more tests (mostly for me as my doctor doesn't see a difference between an intolerance and celiac - which I am now very grateful for)...I definitely have celiac.

Okay, now I am more than two weeks into a very strict gluten free diet, and have gone to great lengths checking every item I put in and on my body (and the entire family). I had already been taking magnesium, B's, D, folate, probiotics and fish oil as my doc had done a complete nutrition panel last year. I have also limited dairy and have been keeping a food journal. I have probably been eating the best I have ever eaten in my whole life.....

I have felt great emotionally and mentally, but physically I am very tired, have had severe breakouts on my face, and now multiple mouth ulcers - which I have never had in this amount at one time. I have also started itching all over the past couple of days. My skin is beginning to clear up, but the ulcers seem to be getting worse! Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a "normal" response to getting this junk out of my system? I can't seem to find any information on these responses after going gluten free....

(And thanks in advance for any help!)

There are many posts about being fatigued for awhile at first, and about other symptoms too. While I don't recall seeing reports of the set of things you're experiencing, it wouldn't surprise me.

But do keep in mind that sensitivities often increase once gluten-free, so you may need to cut other things from your diet for awhile. Dairy is one of the most common to cause problems, even though it hadn't before going gluten-free. The other top allergens are also prime suspects. Dairy, soy, corn, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish should all be considered.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to recommend. The B-complex you take should be the co-enzyme forms, and a separate methylcobalamin B12 sublingual tablet might help with the fatigue (5mg per day).

How about your iron status? An iron deficiency can also cause fatigue, as can other mineral deficiencies. The specific forms of all vitamin and mineral supplements is important, so you might want to look over everything to make sure you've got the best kinds.

Have you had any skin issues before? Even if not so bad? If so do you use iodized salt? If you do try a non-iodized for a bit and see if it helps.

Isitreally: have you seen any improvement of your symptoms? I'm almost 4 months into my gluten-free diet and just in the last 3 weeks or so have developed acne (or something acne-like) and a lump in my mouth (not sure if it's an ulcer or what). I'm about 5 days into an elimination of dairy and eggs, and about 2 days into eliminating corn and soy. Also have switched the facial cleanser I use.

So far, no dramatic improvement, though my face is looking a little better than before I started. I've also tried to cut back on carbs and sugar, but it's hard to eliminate everything. I'm really bummed, because I had really been getting into the CF baking, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to give that up if it turns out to be a problem with carbs/sugar. :P

Isit:

Yeah, I am also going through the tiredness and face breakouts, which I very rarely have.

I think the face breakouts are the poison leaching out of my and the tiredness will pass. The tiredness has gotten better now, but at the end of the day, I still need an early night.

It will all pass!!

~Allison