kaiess

Tartrazine?

Rate this topic

I'm confused. I see tartrazine listed as safe yet have been told by a Celiac that you must avoid it too. Is it just that she herself is allergic/sensitive to it and it has nothing to do with her/her child's Celiac disease? My son may have to go gluten-free shortly (waiting for results...again) and I thought I had learned a great deal and am now questioning myself with many products I though were safe. Please help.

I've never even heard of it.....

Where would you find it?

Tartrazine is a yellow food dye.

She might have removed it from her kids diet because there is some evidence of correlation of ingestion of some food dyes with hyperactivity in children. It is also known that some people (albeit a very small percentage - around 0.1% - have an intolerance to it).

It's not a gluten concern, however.

Maybe her doctor was like mine?

He has all his celiac patients stay away from synthetic food dyes, additives and preservatives - he said that people with celiac seem to have a greater chance of sensitivities or reactions to these, as well as a greater chance of developing sensitivities to these if they continue to eat them.

So maybe it's that?

As a side note, he also said that we are more likely to have issues with genetically modified foods, and to develop food allergies when we consume genetically modified food. For what that's worth. :-)

Good luck on the test with your little one!

I'm confused. I see tartrazine listed as safe yet have been told by a Celiac that you must avoid it too. Is it just that she herself is allergic/sensitive to it and it has nothing to do with her/her child's Celiac disease? My son may have to go gluten-free shortly (waiting for results...again) and I thought I had learned a great deal and am now questioning myself with many products I though were safe. Please help.

I tested sensitive to Yellow #5 Tartrazine and Green #3 Fast Green food colorings through food and chemical sensitivity blood tests. I avoid all colorings and would only consume them if in need of a medication that can't be obtained without added coloring.