savvysue

Can Shampoo Really Make You Sick?

Rate this topic

Recently I have been getting stomach aches almost everyday. After going over and over everything that i eat, i discovered that my shampoo has Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, and Wheat Germ in it. But even though i just wash my hair with it, could it really be causing me so much pain, and giving me these stomach aches? Or do you think that it is something that i ate?

The hair care products could be causing your problems. Switch to a shampoo without and see if you stomach aches go away. If that doesn't take care of it, it could be something you eat or some other products you use such as make up.

With all the chemical ingredients listed on shampoos, makeup & lotion - How do you know where the ingredients came from? I have some lotion that in () after a chemical name says "hops". I've seen shampoo advertised as having "wheat protein". Its soooo confusing.

With all the chemical ingredients listed on shampoos, makeup & lotion - How do you know where the ingredients came from? I have some lotion that in () after a chemical name says "hops". I've seen shampoo advertised as having "wheat protein". Its soooo confusing.

It is confusing because of the way that stuff is labeled. There are some companies that will clearly list wheat or oat ingredients like, Dove, Suave, Garnier for a couple. If you prefer organics Burts Bees and Giovanni make some really great stuff. Both have soy though if that is an issue for you. I loved the Giovanni products until I developed an allergy to soy a couple years into the gluten-free diet.

People don't realize that they actually get shampoo in their mouths while they shower.

You can try the baking soda test. Put baking soda in your hand with the shampoo and go about your usual routine. The baking soda won't hurt you and it has a taste you can recognize. If you taste it at all, there's your proof.