Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGally81

Have Casein Intolerance Also - Should I Eat This?

I have casein intolerance as well as gluten intolerance, something I learned when going casein-free caused me the same symptoms as gluten-free (same withdrawal symptoms and also a sharp increase in my "hungry all the time" symptom). Plus, early January, I noticed I was having "gluten symptoms lite" when eating foods like yogurt or popcorn with a milk ingredient.

That said, there's a brand of gluten-free, non-dairy chocolate chip cookies I occasionally eat. However, on the box, it says "Contains eggs, soy, and may contain traces of milk protein".

In the ingredients, it says in bold: "Non-GMO Soy Lecithin/emulsifier", "Non-GMO Soy Lecithin", and the big one, right after "Gluten-free Organic Vanilla", it says "Chunks may contain traces of milk protein due to manufacturing equipment".

I've had this brand of cookies many times, but now that casein is proving to be a problem for me, causing the same symptoms as gluten, should I trust this food item? Should I eat it?

Brand is Pamela's Kitchen. Food is Chunky Chocolate Chip Gourmet All Natural Cookies".

Anyone here with a casein intolerance try this brand and have positive results with it?

Born 1981. Is also autistic - officially diagnosed.

Started having fructose-related problems in late 2008.

Started noticing gluten-related symptoms around March 2009.

Discovered the problem and went (mostly) gluten-free in early August 2009. Promptly became hungry all the time.

I can tolerate fructose again now.

Went dairy-lite in mid December 2009, then casein-free in early January 2010. Hunger shot up again twice.

Hunger apparently mostly normal in mid February 2010.

Started taking fish oil in July 2010, then got new symptoms. Got different new symptoms when I stopped, and hunger shot up AGAIN.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I appear to be casein intolerant, but I do not worry about "may contain traces of" warnings, or shared facility issues. It's worked for me. BUT, some of the more sensitive will need to avoid those as well. I wouldn't assume that your casein sensitivity is the same as your gluten one, and you'll have to decide, or experiment, with yourself. :/

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I appear to be casein intolerant, but I do not worry about "may contain traces of" warnings, or shared facility issues. It's worked for me. BUT, some of the more sensitive will need to avoid those as well. I wouldn't assume that your casein sensitivity is the same as your gluten one, and you'll have to decide, or experiment, with yourself. :/

Thanks. I might try it, and if I get the symptoms, take L-glutamine, and never eat these again.

So, when you have casein, do you have the same symptoms as when you have gluten, like I do (albeit in a more "lite" version)?

Born 1981. Is also autistic - officially diagnosed.

Started having fructose-related problems in late 2008.

Started noticing gluten-related symptoms around March 2009.

Discovered the problem and went (mostly) gluten-free in early August 2009. Promptly became hungry all the time.

I can tolerate fructose again now.

Went dairy-lite in mid December 2009, then casein-free in early January 2010. Hunger shot up again twice.

Hunger apparently mostly normal in mid February 2010.

Started taking fish oil in July 2010, then got new symptoms. Got different new symptoms when I stopped, and hunger shot up AGAIN.

I'm dairy-allergic (hives, the whole nine yards) and casein intolerant. My casein intolerant issues are partially similar to my gluten issues (neuro issues, pain, and screwed up internal issues), and partially just utter exhaustion which is definitely just my body on casein. I've never had a problem with the Pamela's brand cookies that have trace amounts. There are a couple of Pamela's brand cookies that have casein or lactose in them and both those and the mixes are completely off limits to me. But the chunky chocolate chip and double chocolate cookies are both safe for me and I break out in hives and get sick off of even minuscule amounts.

Casein keeps me wide awake for a couple days running, no sleep. I get GI symptoms, but nothing like gluten. Doesn't hurt like gluten does for days on end. oh, what a cheerful response. :D:blink::o

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul