aprildutch

Vomiting After Eating Out?

Rate this topic

I have been careful to eat gluten-free, ordering of gluten-free menus, specific instructions, etc. and I know I have been glutened and not thrown up, but from Nov. to Jan. I vomited after eating out three different times. I am wondering if when we go to eating really pure and whole foods that there is an ingredient in restaurant food (additive, preservative, etc) that we can't tolerate. At first I thought it was food poisoning, then it happened again & again. I never throw up when I have gluten accidently, so I know it's not that. Ideas?

Can you tell us what you ordered those times? Maybe that will help to figure it out. Also was it at the same restaurant or different ones?

Can you tell us what you ordered those times? Maybe that will help to figure it out. Also was it at the same restaurant or different ones?

shrimp green curry, steak taco with corn tortilla & guac, and a chicken tamale w/ chips and salsa. chips fried in different oil, i called ahead to make sure. i ate at different restaurants. the tamale was at chevy's. the other foods were at small restaurants. i felt naueseated right away and then vomited three times throughout the night. it took about a few days for me to feel better, to get my strength back. i couldnt stand for more than 1 minute, awful headaches, no fever though.

shrimp green curry, steak taco with corn tortilla & guac, and a chicken tamale w/ chips and salsa. chips fried in different oil, i called ahead to make sure. i ate at different restaurants. the tamale was at chevy's. the other foods were at small restaurants. i felt naueseated right away and then vomited three times throughout the night. it took about a few days for me to feel better, to get my strength back. i couldnt stand for more than 1 minute, awful headaches, no fever though.

I guess there is always a possibility of flour in the curry as a thickener, or coated on the steak and chicken in the Mexican food, but for the steak and chicken I don't think it's likely. The only thing about chicken is that if it's a previously cooked frozen type chicken it can be glazed with wheat starch. I ask them specificially if it's a raw chicken breast.

I've heard that sometimes corn chips can have flour in them too which is really unfortunate.

The main additive I know about in restaurants is more fat related like putting tons of butter on top of steaks to add flavor, or tons of butter on veggies, and stuff like that.

If they are restaurants you want to go to again, I would just call and talk to the manager. You don't want them to get defensive and think "lawsuit" and not help you so maybe don't mention getting sick until after you get your info. I personally use the term allergy. I think it resonates with people and it makes them think of dire consequences like anaphylaxis. I say I am very allergice to wheat, barly and rye, it's called celiac disease. Not only do I have to avoid flour, but there are all sorts of additives in things I need to avoid.

I say in general any sauces you have to ask about because yes, asian restaurants will more often use cornstarch but you just never know.