Smoly

Positive Iodine Patch Test

Rate this topic

I broke out into a bad rash last summer that strongly fits the description of DH. I was referred to a dermatologist but by the time the biopsy was done the results only showed scar tissue. I did an iodine patch test and had a really strong reaction. I couldn't keep the band-aid on for more than an hour because the itching and burning was so bad. My boyfriend had no reaction at all.

I was just wondering if there are any other causes for a positive iodine patch test? I don't want to make such a drastic lifestyle change if there could be another reason for the rash and would like to try other remedies first if possible.

I'm also waiting to see a gastroenterologist to have a biopsy done for celiac so I don't want to go gluten free until that's over. Is there anything I can do to reduce the itching until then?

Thanks for any advice.

I broke out into a bad rash last summer that strongly fits the description of DH. I was referred to a dermatologist but by the time the biopsy was done the results only showed scar tissue. I did an iodine patch test and had a really strong reaction. I couldn't keep the band-aid on for more than an hour because the itching and burning was so bad. My boyfriend had no reaction at all.

I was just wondering if there are any other causes for a positive iodine patch test? I don't want to make such a drastic lifestyle change if there could be another reason for the rash and would like to try other remedies first if possible.

I'm also waiting to see a gastroenterologist to have a biopsy done for celiac so I don't want to go gluten free until that's over. Is there anything I can do to reduce the itching until then?

Thanks for any advice.

Looking at your signature, with your thyroid issues and type 1, and with this patch test, you most likely have DH, I'm sorry! My skin biopsy came back negative too, but my patch test was wildly positive. I agree, stay on gluten until after your biopsy. Until then, stay away from antihistamines like topical benadryl, they won't help you at all. You can try hydrocortisone creams, or something containing pramoxine (like Sarna Sensitive or Dermarest for excema), that will help soothe the itch by basically numbing it. (Pramoxine is in the neosporin For Pain!). I find this works the best. Good luck!