CGally81

Kissing Baby Nephew - Don'T Do It?

Rate this topic

My parents are pretty accommodating, knowing in many ways the severity of the problem. They recognize that I can't have trace amounts of gluten or casein. They let me cook my own meals my own way at times (tinfoil in the pot/pan to make sure that no gluten from previously gets in there), and they even made sure to keep the stuffing separate from the turkey during Christmas, knowing I could get sick (after a blowup when I refused to eat it during Thanksgiving).

But I refused to kiss my baby nephew on the mouth (which he had open), and my mom said "aren't you getting a little ridiculous?" I told her that kissing still carries the risk of carrying the gluten over, and she just said "forget it" in an annoyed tone and moved on. Heck, at my high school reunion, an ex-classmate who'd been drinking beer kissed me on the lips, and said "just wash it off" when I told her I had celiac - before I even had to explain why kissing was something I couldn't do.

My nephew's diet consists of what babies tend to eat, which is, well, cheerios (gluten), milk (casein), and other gluten-containing foods. A lot of gluten. Should I stay away from kissing him on the mouth? I just sent my mom a link to a topic on here of someone else who got sick from kissing, and I hope she understands that, yes, mother nature can be that nasty and unforgiving.

Any of you get sick from kissing, and make sure to avoid it? Babies are messy, and he'd better not get any gluten on his cheeks while playing with his food, or whatever. Have you gotten sick, and how did you deal with it?

That's funny that your mom cares, because as the baby's mother I would be annoyed if you DID kiss my baby on the mouth. Nobody kisses my kids on the mouth except me and my husband. Germs from other people I do not need. They get sick enough on their own. I would never kiss somebody else's baby, but especially not on the mouth.

I don't kiss my own kids open mouths. That's just gross. And I do not kiss them when they have food all over their face. Again gross.

Your mom is being silly. :)

Y'know, I made this mistake myself with a baby of my friend's. He was so sweet and cuddly and smelled so good, and I just, out of habit, kissed him on the cheek, and then realized what I'd done, and ran to the bathroom and washed my mouth off. If it gets on your lips, it can get in your mouth, and I guarantee you that baby was COVERED in gluten. I've actually found that one of the few truly upsetting things about being gluten free is not being able to kiss people the way I was used to. I'm a very affectionate person and being denied that is painful. But not as painful as being glutened!!!! Besides, there's still hugs!