Jeffiner

Off Gluten, On Gluten, 10 Pound Gain In 5 Days!

Rate this topic

On Thursday I was told to go back to eating gluten in order to get an accurate biopsy. Since Thursday at the doctor's office, I have gained 10 pounds! My face looks swollen, my stomach is bloated as bad as ever, and I spent the evening vomiting. I need to wait an entire month for the biopsy. I am afraid I will look like a blimp by the time I get there. Why would I gain weight that quickly? Any ideas? :blink:

On Thursday I was told to go back to eating gluten in order to get an accurate biopsy. Since Thursday at the doctor's office, I have gained 10 pounds! My face looks swollen, my stomach is bloated as bad as ever, and I spent the evening vomiting. I need to wait an entire month for the biopsy. I am afraid I will look like a blimp by the time I get there. Why would I gain weight that quickly? Any ideas? :blink:

Water retention/bloating.

It is your choice whether you want to eat gluten for a month to do a biopsy. I refused to do that. I am not going to make myself sick for a test that is so inaccurate that I have to cause myself damage in order to get it to read positive. Even after all that gluten damaging your villi, they may not get damaged sections and give you a false negative. They call it the gold standard, but the only gold I see in it is the gold lining the doctor's pockets for doing an invasive procedure rather than simple bloodwork and looking at diet and symptoms.

I found a doctor who was very knowledgable about celiac who diagnosed me based on positive bloodwork and dietary response. He feels that it's barbaric to ask people to eat gluten and make themselves sick for a biopsy and I tend to agree.

Did you have positive blood work or did you self diagnose by dietary response? I don't want to try to talk you out of doing the endoscopy, because you have your reasons for doing it, but at the same time I'd like to share that there are options out there and don't let the doctor force you into doing this if it's making you sick.

It is your choice whether you want to eat gluten for a month to do a biopsy. I refused to do that. I am not going to make myself sick for a test that is so inaccurate that I have to cause myself damage in order to get it to read positive. Even after all that gluten damaging your villi, they may not get damaged sections and give you a false negative. They call it the gold standard, but the only gold I see in it is the gold lining the doctor's pockets for doing an invasive procedure rather than simple bloodwork and looking at diet and symptoms.

I found a doctor who was very knowledgable about celiac who diagnosed me based on positive bloodwork and dietary response. He feels that it's barbaric to ask people to eat gluten and make themselves sick for a biopsy and I tend to agree.

Did you have positive blood work or did you self diagnose by dietary response? I don't want to try to talk you out of doing the endoscopy, because you have your reasons for doing it, but at the same time I'd like to share that there are options out there and don't let the doctor force you into doing this if it's making you sick.

I had a pcp tell me to go on the diet after a weak positive blood test. It has become apparent that the gluten was what was making me vomit. However, because I suddenly got much sicker than I have in the past seven years, I thought it best to check and see if anything else was up in there. I figured if I was going to have a scope done anyway, I might as well have the Celiac Disease confirmed. The doctor did say that if I got too sick, to just stop the gluten again. My weight never moved much before the original diagnosis when I was eating gluten except for periods that I vomited everything I ate, I would lose up to twenty pounds before it stopped and then gain it back. The ten pound surge just seemed odd.