alpha752

Too Much Fruit?

Rate this topic

SO Im new to this Celiac thing (thank God for this site, its been very helpful). Im a little over a week into the Gluten Free diet, although ive screwed up a couple times. Ive been eating a TON of fruit because, honestly, there isnt much gluten-free food that tastes good. By a lot of fruit I mean, 2-3 apples, 1 banana, and a soup bowl full of grapes a day. Im also trying to avoid HF Corn syrup just as a general health thing, so ive been drinking 100% fruit juice, about 1/2 gallon a day.

I know fruit is a diuretic, but do you ever build up a tolerance to it? Right now I feel as if I ate a loaf of bread, and I know that everything I ate today was specifically gluten-free. Is too much fruit just as bad?

Too much Vitamin C can cause bowel problems. So I sure too much fruit or fruit juice could do the same.

that's an aweful lot of sugars, (even without added HFCS) have you had anything to eat besides fruits? You still need protiens and fats in your diet. Just because you're gluten intolerant doesn't mean you're stuck eating only fruits all day every day.

1 apple is about 14.34 grams of sugar, and not even half a gram of protien

1 banana is 14.43 grams of sugar, and 1.29 grams of protien

1 cup of grapes is 14.95 grams of sugar and only .58 gram of protien.

The juice is pretty much just all sugars because there's no fibre in it.

Yes, I'd say there is such a thing as too much fruit. Try to mix it up a bit, and get a proper balance of healthy fats, protiens, and carbs.

SO Im new to this Celiac thing (thank God for this site, its been very helpful). Im a little over a week into the Gluten Free diet, although ive screwed up a couple times. Ive been eating a TON of fruit because, honestly, there isnt much gluten-free food that tastes good. By a lot of fruit I mean, 2-3 apples, 1 banana, and a soup bowl full of grapes a day. Im also trying to avoid HF Corn syrup just as a general health thing, so ive been drinking 100% fruit juice, about 1/2 gallon a day.

I know fruit is a diuretic, but do you ever build up a tolerance to it? Right now I feel as if I ate a loaf of bread, and I know that everything I ate today was specifically gluten-free. Is too much fruit just as bad?

I was doing the same thing felt great for a few days then the fruit caught up to me "can you say fiber overload" learning to go slow with it all. I did feel very full to

corn tortilla's and salsa is a great gluten free snack in place of cheese and crackers

I wish you luck I am entering week 3

Oh yeah, I definitely eat other things, its just that I am coming from a near 100% Junk/fast food diet, so this "healthy" stuff is foreign to me. I have found several gluten-free breakfast bar kind of thingys that are decent to eat, and couple those with some apples for breakfast. Lunch is usually some sort of chicken and rice dish, along with some gluten-free chips/pretzels, and a banana, dinner varies, but has been Chipolte quite often recently (bowl of course).

Ive been hearing of some sort of withdrawal that im not familiar with, ive got to check into that. Its rather discouraging that I am eating gluten-free and still experiencing symptoms. Im almost to that "whats the point" place.

I think we all can agree with that statement of "gluten free food doesn't taste good." At first, this is usually the case. Stick with it. gluten-free food quality has come a long way in the past couple of years and is still getting better.

I continually preach to "go back to the basics."

Stick with your fruit... but maybe not as much. Add in some vegetables and meat. Stick with fruits, veggies, rice, and unprocessed meats for a while. Once you start to feel better and crave more food, then add in more. Take it only as fast as you learn and are confident with eating.