This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Some Advice

passionfruit877

passionfruit877 Apprentice

I am gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant, and have been off gluten for about 5 months now. I haven't been tested for Celiac because my doctor doesn't think its a good idea, as I would have to eat gluten for 8 weeks ( and I agree). However, I am still getting sick. He told me to watch when I get sick and suggested I may be carbohydrate intolerant in general. I don't really seem to see a pattern. I seem to get sick from things I know are gluten free and have successfully eaten before.

I was wondering if there are other common intolerance I should look out for. Also, is it possible to be so sensitive that I could be getting sick from sharing a water with my gluten-eating hubby? I am starting to think that I may just be so intolerant that touching a counter that may have gluten on it may be making me sick later (I try to keep counters washed down and my hands clean).

By sick I mean I am not getting the same horrible stomach pains that I get with gluten, I'm just getting really bloated and upset to my stomach. For example, I made myself some nachos last night with corn chips, Hormel chili (which is gluten free) and some fresh veggies. My stomach swelled up huge after and I even showed a friend who was over. It is more annoying than anything. Any advice anyone?

Thanks

Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KateGrace Newbie

Hi there! I'm also gluten and lactose intolerant. Yay !? <_< Seeing as we're in the same boat, I'll just jump in with some advice:

First of all, I am curious to know how long/how severely you were sick before you changed your diet. Five months is a long time, but your body could still be in the "please be gentle with me" stage of recovery. In that case, corn and even beans could be too much to handle right now.

Beans, besides being difficult to digest (Beano?), also contain a lot of protein, which is certainly an issue for me. I know that if I eat too much protein --like one too many chicken wings-- my abdomen swells up. I even stay bloated the next day. (It's all in my face, too. I look like a Pez dispenser.)

I also know that Hormel chili has soy and MSG in it (my boyfriend eats it, and I just checked the label). Not to mention--sorry to be so annoying--a lot of salt, and too much salt causes water retention. The ingredients here include "Textured Vegetable Protein" and the innocent-sounding "Flavoring"---all code for MSG. A lot of people react badly to that stuff.

But the most probable reason: Your body may have just gotten excited about you cutting out gluten and lactose (my opinion? that stuff is bad for everyone, whether they're intolerant or not), and now it's forfeiting stuff like canned beans, corn, GMO soy, and harmless-seeming preservatives and "flavor-enhancers." I say "most probable" because a lot of people develop new allergies after cutting out gluten/dairy, especially in the beginning....SO unfair, by the way. I'm one of these people who became intolerant to, like, everything. But I view it as a blessing in disguise...it takes a while to appreciate.

So maybe you'd benefit from not eating corn and soy for a week or two. See if you feel better. You could do a super easy "elimination diet" by only sticking to basic, whole foods--rice, steamed vegetables, fruits, grass-fed meats, nothing "instant" or remotely fun :( -- and see if you feel better. I'm an ex-junk-foodie and, let me tell you, it is MUCH more satisfying to eat this way (and less expensive, and better for the environment, etc.)

Good luck!

iamgf Newbie

I know 5-months sounds like a long time, but if you are Celiac then your body is still healing. Top that with foods that are notorious for creating digestive problems, i.e. chili, and you are in for a world of hurt. Corn is also a culprit as it is a highly contaminated crop, like oats.

Now, I wouldn't touch Hormel Chili with a ten foot poll. I know they say some of their chili products don't "contain" gluten. But, that doesn't mean the raw materials (i.e. corn flour) are not contaminated, nor does it mean their production line is not contaminated.

Currently, there are no laws in place that define "gluten-free", the food company has to be truthful and not misleading but they are not required to test their products. Nor are they required to verify that their suppliers are giving them uncontaminated raw material. There is a great article about this in the current issue of Living Without Magazine Open Original Shared Link

Hi there! I'm also gluten and lactose intolerant. Yay !? <_< Seeing as we're in the same boat, I'll just jump in with some advice:

First of all, I am curious to know how long/how severely you were sick before you changed your diet. Five months is a long time, but your body could still be in the "please be gentle with me" stage of recovery. In that case, corn and even beans could be too much to handle right now.

Um, I was sick for about 2 1/2 years. I am 22 and just suddenly got "sick" one day in college. I was constantly constipated, laxatives didn't help, and more symptoms just kept coming up (stomach pain, stomach swelling, a feeling of needing to eat every 2 hours). I used to just get "hit" by hunger and my hands would shake, I would cry and get irritable. I only weigh like 95 pounds.

I found the gluten free diet on my own, and my doctor supported me when I had good results. Three weeks into the diet I became lactose intolerant (I had never had problems with milk before). I recently asked him about Celiac but he said I would have to eat a lot of gluten and the results might not be accurate. I appreciate that he was honest. He doesn't say I have Celiac, but he wants to send me to a nutritionist.

The more I learn about Celiac the more I think it sounds like me. Over the past 5 months I have felt like my body was "recovering" for lack of a better term. I noticed more energy, my constipation is gone, that need to constantly eat is gone. My anxiety is better and it is much worse when I get glutened. If this is true I can see how your point works, that my body is indeed recovering and can't handle much. I keep thinking its just gluten I can't have but I tend to get sick just about every time I eat out.

KateGrace Newbie

That's great that you've improved overall. It's also good to hear that your doctor is supportive! My dad is a (retired) doctor and he looked at me like this :blink: when I told him I was reacting badly to dairy and gluten. Grains are on the bottom of the food pyramid, after all.

I sound a lot like you, except you caught it earlier. I got noticeably sick in college. At first it was just annoying, because I'd wake up weirdly bloated in the morning and my mind was foggy. I was also HYPER sensitive in regards to blood sugar. Like you, if I didn't eat every two hours, I'd be a wreck. I'm also thin and otherwise healthy. No one could diagnose me, not even (or especially not) my dad. All tests all came up negative or inconclusive. Things got worse, and I was on the verge of getting a colonoscopy about a year ago...at age 24! I'm really surprised that I didn't suspect dairy or wheat earlier. So you're totally on track.

I keep thinking its just gluten I can't have but I tend to get sick just about every time I eat out.

Same here. Wheat is in EVERYTHING, and so is dairy. Also, it could go back to your possibly being sensitive to MSG--that's in practically all take-out food, not just Asian. I'm not sensitive to it, but I know someone who is. Just saying.

Good luck!

I sound a lot like you, except you caught it earlier. I got noticeably sick in college. At first it was just annoying, because I'd wake up weirdly bloated in the morning and my mind was foggy. I was also HYPER sensitive in regards to blood sugar. Like you, if I didn't eat every two hours, I'd be a wreck. I'm also thin and otherwise healthy. No one could diagnose me, not even (or especially not) my dad. All tests all came up negative or inconclusive. Things got worse, and I was on the verge of getting a colonoscopy about a year ago...at age 24! I'm really surprised that I didn't suspect dairy or wheat earlier. So you're totally on track.

We do sound so much alike! Why do so many people first notice symptoms in college?

KateGrace Newbie

:) I don't know either! I think it may just be because, as we grow older, our body isn't able to handle things as well as before. College can also be stressful, which lowers the immune system, etc.

And I'm glad that I read your post, because it sounded so similar to mind. It's such a relief to hear this stuff from someone else!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

:) I don't know either! I think it may just be because, as we grow older, our body isn't able to handle things as well as before. College can also be stressful, which lowers the immune system, etc.

And I'm glad that I read your post, because it sounded so similar to mind. It's such a relief to hear this stuff from someone else!

Yes! It is nice to be able to relate to someone. I have also read that Celiac has to be triggered by something, like an illness. I got sick a lot in college, as I think most people do. So, I'm not sure what could have triggered it.

We're you actually diagnosed? You said your dad was a doctor so does he accept it? I still get bothered because I think what I have is Celiac disease, however, as nice as he is, my doctor will not call it that. I guess because I did not actually have the tests, which he admitted would probably be a bad idea, since I am very sensitive. I was told I had IBS for almost 3 years, I'm glad I tried the diet on my own.

Did you have any symptoms of Celiac during your childhood that you recognize now? Like I said, I am skinny, short, mildly anemic, and I had terrible sinus allergies as a child, as well as sinus infections.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Nightshade vegetables are also a common secondary intolerance: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. Also pay attention to see if grains are causing your discomfort: rice, quinoa, etc.

Peace41 Rookie

Yes! It is nice to be able to relate to someone. I have also read that Celiac has to be triggered by something, like an illness. I got sick a lot in college, as I think most people do. So, I'm not sure what could have triggered it.

We're you actually diagnosed? You said your dad was a doctor so does he accept it? I still get bothered because I think what I have is Celiac disease, however, as nice as he is, my doctor will not call it that. I guess because I did not actually have the tests, which he admitted would probably be a bad idea, since I am very sensitive. I was told I had IBS for almost 3 years, I'm glad I tried the diet on my own.

Did you have any symptoms of Celiac during your childhood that you recognize now? Like I said, I am skinny, short, mildly anemic, and I had terrible sinus allergies as a child, as well as sinus infections.

Hello,

U can go to an allergist/immunologist/chiropractor to see if u have other food intolerances. U may not be able to test for gluten, but u can test for other things. Also for people that go through event triggers etc...and have an event stressful enough to trigger gluten intolerance, also could have a sensory processing problem.

Which means u could be sensitive to other things in ur environment not just food. U may like to look up sensory processing disorder. Since people with gluten have trouble processing different things, it could also be connected to ur sensory environment. Its come to me, that if u have visitors over etc... and personal hygiene products can be effected, then even their products could effect u. And also when eating take away or out, their soap that they use on their hands could effect the food, unless they use gloves with cooking. Something to think about.

And Wolicki, thanks so much for ur comment:

Nightshade vegetables are also a common secondary intolerance: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. Also pay attention to see if grains are causing your discomfort: rice, quinoa, etc.

I am certainly having problems with rice, I can eat potatoes, but it can cause problems after and also haven't tried peppers or eggplant. I am waiting upon our allergy test next week to know. But rice is definitely a problem, corn is too, along with oats.

Peace 4 1

Ange Newbie

I am so depressed right now. I'm sore all over and sick and have absolutley nothing wrong with me, Im a healthy 26 year old and I've been wasting the doctors time and energy for 4 years. Apparently Im a hypercondriact....please excuse the spelling...I could cry. :(

I have been doing relativly well this year after finding out in October last year through a blood tests the foods which I am sensitive too. These posts depress me more with suggestions that you can become more sensitive by staying away from the 'no' foods and the environment playing its part in grinding every spare piece of energy. Haha spare energy?

So the story is, I have had every test the doctors reccommend and some that I have insisted on. I have had Glandular Fever and parvo virus in the past only god knows when as I never used to go to the doctors. I tested ++++ positive for Helicobactor and have tested negative for celiacs. My food testing revealed that I should never eat Bananas, Asparagus or dairy in all its forms not just lactose....Everything! Gluten was on the verge of being never....I don't know what to eat! I am afraid of food and I am losing weight. Doctors give me that "and what do you want me to do about it" look when I describe my symptoms and one even said the words. :blink:

My symptoms were all the normal IBS ones mixed with a feeling of chronic fatigue, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and all they found was inflammation of the esophagus...goodbye $900 I could have figured that out by the chronic heartburn...

Since eliminating dairy my bowel movements are heavenly but gross as it is I will mention (guys please close your eyes) vaginal mucus....Its (at times) 30 cms when I go to the toilet just hanging there like a sticky goo. Gross! Yes well....does anyone ever talk about these things and what the #### is all that about????

Monday night I felt good, I ate a salad sandwich with grain bread, tomatoes, avo, spinnach, cucumber and mayonaise. That night I felt as if my stomach had been nawed out by rats and left a rotting hole inside my gut, this faded into exhaustion which then turned into high fevers, headaches and vomiting....its Wednsday night and I am just sore all over now...So sore, and Im sorry if this sounds like a massive whinge...I just am lost. And sore...and sorry I can't just survive on water alone, although apon thinking about all those lovely additives who knows if I would be better off?

:( I will also mention my accupunturist mentioned my gall bladder isin't functioning 100%....Yay 4 me.

Ange,

Are you wondering if you should try eliminating gluten too? Just because you tested negative for Celiac doesn't mean you don't have it. I had to go gluten free on my own because nobody would listen to me.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I am so depressed right now. I'm sore all over and sick and have absolutley nothing wrong with me, Im a healthy 26 year old and I've been wasting the doctors time and energy for 4 years. Apparently Im a hypercondriact....please excuse the spelling...I could cry. :(

I have been doing relativly well this year after finding out in October last year through a blood tests the foods which I am sensitive too. These posts depress me more with suggestions that you can become more sensitive by staying away from the 'no' foods and the environment playing its part in grinding every spare piece of energy. Haha spare energy?

So the story is, I have had every test the doctors reccommend and some that I have insisted on. I have had Glandular Fever and parvo virus in the past only god knows when as I never used to go to the doctors. I tested ++++ positive for Helicobactor and have tested negative for celiacs. My food testing revealed that I should never eat Bananas, Asparagus or dairy in all its forms not just lactose....Everything! Gluten was on the verge of being never....I don't know what to eat! I am afraid of food and I am losing weight. Doctors give me that "and what do you want me to do about it" look when I describe my symptoms and one even said the words. :blink:

My symptoms were all the normal IBS ones mixed with a feeling of chronic fatigue, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and all they found was inflammation of the esophagus...goodbye $900 I could have figured that out by the chronic heartburn...

Since eliminating dairy my bowel movements are heavenly but gross as it is I will mention (guys please close your eyes) vaginal mucus....Its (at times) 30 cms when I go to the toilet just hanging there like a sticky goo. Gross! Yes well....does anyone ever talk about these things and what the #### is all that about????

Monday night I felt good, I ate a salad sandwich with grain bread, tomatoes, avo, spinnach, cucumber and mayonaise. That night I felt as if my stomach had been nawed out by rats and left a rotting hole inside my gut, this faded into exhaustion which then turned into high fevers, headaches and vomiting....its Wednsday night and I am just sore all over now...So sore, and Im sorry if this sounds like a massive whinge...I just am lost. And sore...and sorry I can't just survive on water alone, although apon thinking about all those lovely additives who knows if I would be better off?

:( I will also mention my accupunturist mentioned my gall bladder isin't functioning 100%....Yay 4 me.

Ange,

I would be willing to bet that you have gluten intolerance, which will not show up on any test, other than the diet test. I had so many similar symptoms. So sore I could hardly move- muscles, bones, joints, everything. I also developed lots of secondary intolerances after going gluten free. The good new is that they have all resolved after 7 months.

Please try the diet and be strict. Stick with whole foods, protein, fruits and veg. Focus on what you CAN have, not what you can't.

I posted some notes to help newbies through, under "the definitive celiac sticky" in post diagnosis/recovery.

I hope you feel better soon!

Ange,

I would be willing to bet that you have gluten intolerance, which will not show up on any test, other than the diet test. I had so many similar symptoms. So sore I could hardly move- muscles, bones, joints, everything. I also developed lots of secondary intolerances after going gluten free. The good new is that they have all resolved after 7 months.

Is it typical for secondary intolerances to go away like that? I miss milk and butter...lol.

Also, does anyone know anything about Candida? I was recently on antibiotics for two weeks about a month ago. I have been getting so bloated after eating anything...even something I was fine with the night before. I tried a mini candida cleanse like 3 months ago and I really felt like it helped with my digestion. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

KateGrace Newbie
We're you actually diagnosed? You said your dad was a doctor so does he accept it?

Hey! I was never officially diagnosed. I'd also like to know for sure, but I am just WAY too sensitive to go back on a wheat diet (god, we're like twins :P ). But that's all right, because based on my experience with the elimination diet, I either have celiac or I'm very, very gluten intolerant.

For example, I got "glutened" (glutenized? gluteneezed?) two days ago by a can of peanut butter that I'm sharing with someone who makes wheat sandwiches with it (...oops). I am both amazed at how careless I was and by how STRONG my reaction was. My diet has been very steady and my health improving, yay! And then a couple bites of peanut butter did me in. Ridiculous.

(God forbid, it could also be a peanut allergy. Yes, it sucks having to think this way, but it's become second nature.)

My Dad is actually a retired doctor who practiced in Europe; he is very smart, was top of his class, speaks several languages, etc. And I respect that, but honestly? I have NO respect for doctors. I even considered going to med school last year, but after looking into it, I realized that it doesn't seem like a very healthy career. A lot of med students seem to be motivated primarily by money or status; also, the actual job is draining and doesn't seem to leave a whole lot of room for critical thinking or stepping outside the bounds of what they've been taught. Nope, just a whole lot of prescription writing going on (which equals $ for them)! No offense to all the great doctors out there who DO exist. But my dad, who I respect, didn't know the first thing about celiac. He's also very stuck in his ways.

So, out of pure desperation, I decided to do my own research, to experiment, and like many people here, figure it out for myself.

Sorry! Rant.

I am 5'8 and weigh 125, which is thin but looks healthy on me. But in college, I often binged on wheat and dairy products and, at my peak, weighed 135. I recently read that if someone has an allergy to a food, they often "crave" that food unnaturally and overeat it. Interesting! (Also, milk and wheat contain opioid peptides, which are addictive.)

After college, my stomach problems got worse and I got down to about 120. But instead of looking great, I was NOT healthy: I was pale, my hair looked dull, no energy. Obviously not absorbing enough nutrients. Are you currently at a healthy weight?

But I will say, I was VERY skinny as a child, because I simply refused to eat what was served to me. I now think it was a natural and healthy response. When I started consuming a lot of milk, at age 11, I started having insomnia. When I started cooking for myself, mainly pasta, I had a bloated tummy.

I am not anemic (though I was never able to be a vegetarian, try as I might, because I feel too weak without meat. So maybe I'm a closet anemic!) And no sinus problems, either.

I hope you're feeling better! Everyone keeps saying it will take some time to heal, so I hope we both heal really soon.

KateGrace Newbie
Also, does anyone know anything about Candida? I was recently on antibiotics for two weeks about a month ago

I can't help here, but I'd like to here more about that cleanse. Were you on antibiotics because of the candida?

I have been getting so bloated after eating anything...even something I was fine with the night before.

Yup, I had to cut out dairy and soy, 100%. Have you done this? It's not necessarily for "forever," just until you heal. I also cut out corn, gluten-free baked goods, and beans because they were way too hard on me. It sounds like a very restrictive diet, but I kind of...like it. Dare I say? It's so simple, and it makes me appreciate and savor what I eat much more.

Hang in there!

Archived