dhiltonlittle

Blood Test Confusion

Rate this topic

hey!

i have a quick question about the celiac panel. i was tested once and got back a positive gliadin AB (IGA) which was 32 with a reference range of <11 u/mL. i have since gotten an endoscopy and am waiting on the results from that. Since then, i have gone to my thyroid doctor who also did some tests and the IGA came back negative at 5. these were two different labs that did the testing and were a few weeks apart but i'm curious why the numbers would be so far off! i want to try the gluten free diet to see if i feel any better but want to make sure all of my blood work is done before i start anything. is there any reason i should get another round of blood work or should i just wait on the endoscopy/biopsy results?

thanks for any help!

Since you are done with both blood tests and biopsies go ahead and start the diet. Your body may give you an answer before you even get the results.

thanks for the reply, i guess it would be mainly for my sanity/confirmation! i'm really looking forward to trying out the diet hoping that i feel better. i was mainly curious why the two different labs yielded two totally different results. is it common for that to happen?

thanks for the reply, i guess it would be mainly for my sanity/confirmation! i'm really looking forward to trying out the diet hoping that i feel better. i was mainly curious why the two different labs yielded two totally different results. is it common for that to happen?

Hello,

I had bloodwork done last year for celiac because of alot of bloating,gas,ect. and it came back negative.I was never given any numbers after the test though.Since then,I am still suffering with the same symptoms unless I cut out the gluten.I have decided on my own that I must have a gluten sensitivity,and am starting the gluten free diet.Is thier a different type of test that tells if you are gluten sensitive?

Hello,

I had bloodwork done last year for celiac because of alot of bloating,gas,ect. and it came back negative.I was never given any numbers after the test though.Since then,I am still suffering with the same symptoms unless I cut out the gluten.I have decided on my own that I must have a gluten sensitivity,and am starting the gluten free diet.Is thier a different type of test that tells if you are gluten sensitive?

There are tests out there called Enterolabs and I think Prometheis, (spelling?) They can tell you if you have a gluten sensitivity but not celiac

There are tests out there called Enterolabs and I think Prometheis, (spelling?) They can tell you if you have a gluten sensitivity but not celiac

Thankyou for that info.,my doctor ordered more bloodwork to test for celiac..Im not sure what its called though.He also said that its okay that I have been gluten free this week..that wont affect the reading.I always hear that you should eat normal(with gluten)so it doesnt give a false reading.Any idea??

A week shouldn't affect the results.

researchers sent out split samples from diagnosed celiacs to different commercial labs, and lo and behold some labs only found 50% of the celaics, and others up to 80%......but none found more than 80%.

It might be the test method and the cutoff at the lab that causes negative test results vs positive test results in other labs.