maclac74

Hello All! Please Help, Confused And Learning

Rate this topic

Hello my name is Rob and I live in Ontario. I'm 35 years old and need some advice. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about Celiac and Wheat sensitivities. I have spent a few hours reading over posts on this forum and thought I would post myself. I have tried short periods of going gluten free and have noticed positive results. With a busy life I haven't been able to stick to the diet for any length of time. As soon as I start to feel better I fall off the diet. Below is some symptoms I would love to conquer.

-Uveitis - I have had 2 severe bouts with Uveitis over the last 15 years. The last episode lasted 2 years before the steroid drops controlled the inflammation.

-Skin irritation - Both my ears are constantly itchy, also dry and flaky. They get so bad they often bleed. My scalp is also very itchy.

-Muscle, joint pains

-Bad memory, foggy thought process at times.

-Loose bowl movements, cramping, frequent bowl movements.

-tiredness, lack of energy

-Mouth sores

-unexplained mood swings

Does anybody have any suggestions or advice. Could these symptoms be a wheat/gluten sensitivity. I love my breads and pastas and have really found it hard to add variety to my diet. It would be nice if their was a simple test for the sensitivity so I could prove it to myself (which I understand their isn't other than trial and error). Please help! with any advice.

tks

It would be nice if their was a simple test for the sensitivity so I could prove it to myself

Other than these you mean......?

I have tried short periods of going gluten free and have noticed positive results.

As soon as I start to feel better I fall off the diet.

It certainly sounds like it could be celiac or gluten intolerance. Since you feel better off gluten, I am gonna guess that you have one or the other. If it is, then you need to be very strict with your diet. There are some very good replacements for bread (Udi's) and pasta (made from Quinoa). However, while your body is healing, it is best to stick to whole, natural foods: fruits, veg and proteins. Add in the gluten free replacements once you've had a chance to heal.

It takes some practice to learn all the tricks and what is safe. Once you are feeling better, you will see that it is all worth it :D

Thanks for the reply. I have been off gluten totally for 3 days now and I have noticed a difference in my ears. How long do you need to stick to the diet before you see a difference.

For some symptoms I felt better immediately, other things took months. Every person is different. Keep careful track of how you feel, some changes may be subtle.

Patience Hun, the only way to do this is to kill your allergins and never go back to them. YES, it is a new way of life. YES, its Not an easy way, but also, YES, its worth it.

Look at it this way, every time you drop off the diet you purposly poision your body all over again and thats just insane. The longer you eat the things your body is screaming at you not to eat, the more permaniate damage you do to your body as you age.

Think about it.