This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Having Gluten Nightmares

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Nightmares where I eat gluten. One was that I ate a whole plate of pancakes at I HOP and for hours I was sitting there waiting and waiting for symptoms to start. Another one was that I ate a bite of a cookie as i walked past a plate and got sick immediately.

I never thought food would be a nightmare for me. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kayo Explorer

I have similar nightmares where I'm forced to drink milk or eat cheese.

I dream that I forget that I cant eat gluten, eat it, and then I wake up panicking thinking it really happened.

I have had a few funny dreams where I'm at work and steal people's BLT sandwiches or grilled cheeses at lunch time when they're not looking. Then I desperately try to hide the crumbs while my mouth is full of the sandwich. Then they ask me if I saw it and I mutter, Sanfwish, whuf sanfwish?

plantime Contributor

My most recent one was ice cream sandwiches. I think the nightmares or dreams are because we are aware of our dietary limitations, and have successfully ingrained the need to stay glutenfree into our subconscious. Our subconscious, however, insists on reminding us of tastes we would rather forget. In my dreams, however, I react by spitting out the food, telling me that I am completely aware that I shouldn't be eating it.

That's just my theory, and it doesn't mean anything to anyone. It just sounds good to me.

serenajane Apprentice

Nightmares where I eat gluten. One was that I ate a whole plate of pancakes at I HOP and for hours I was sitting there waiting and waiting for symptoms to start. Another one was that I ate a bite of a cookie as i walked past a plate and got sick immediately.

I never thought food would be a nightmare for me. :(

I hear you. I have had dreams that I cheated and they feel so real I have to remind myself that it was a dream. I had similar dreams years ago. I used to be a terrible nail bitter and at the age of 16 I stopped. When my nails grew in people would comment on how nice they were. I groomed them often to change my habit. Well I would dream that I would bite them all off. I'd wake up in a panic that I had failed myself. It is not a great feeling.

I feel like it is only when I am OCD about something or looking for a way to change something that I have those crazy reality dreams they STINK

I work at a salon and we are celebrating 2 girls B-days. They want to go to a Japanese rest. I know the place and I want to call and ask if I can bring my soy sauce to use. They do all the cooking right in front of you. It can't hurt to ask right???

kayo Explorer

Be careful with the Japanese restaurant since they use one giant grill to cook everything you might get some soy in your food if they use soy and not tamari. You may want to order something from the kitchen where it can be prepared in it's own pan to be safe. I've also found that most places don't mind if you bring your own. I carry salad dressing and coffee creamer in my purse like an old lady carries gum and mints!

oceangirl Collaborator

When gluten gets in I have horrible nightmares, food may or may not be a subject or theme-often it is- and they are very disturbing and weird and complex. That said, I don't dream for long as the evil gluten causes so much pain and stomach distention and joint pain and AAAaaarrgghhhhh, that I am awake tossing and turning all night. Usually from 2 AM on. Happening right now for about 1 week and a half and I've been gluten free for over 5 years. Very depressing.

lisa

Archived