masterjen

Celiac And Casein

Rate this topic

Early on in this going gluten-free process (now in week 5), I switched to lactose-free milk in case I am one of those who has become lactose intolerant because of being gluten intolerant. I also have not had soy beverages (again as a precaution). I think I've tolerated lactose-free milk well, but in the past couple of days I've been having a return of my previous rib discomfort (pressure, heaviness) with minimal chance I'm eating gluten (I've switched to eating only pure/whole food, and nothing processed or pre-packaged). This morning I intentionally had a glass of warm milk when I got up and nothing else, and within 1/2 an hour the rib discomfort started. Based on things I've read, I'm wondering if I may be reacting to casein. Is it possible to be reacting now and not in the initial couple of weeks, or did I perhaps just miss the signs of reacting to it?

Although I am not a doctor, I can tell you that when I first started being dairy free (a few years before my celiac diagnosis) the symptoms didn't make sense either. Sometimes dairy foods wouldn't bother me, and other times they would. Sometimes I could react in a short period of time (30 minutes or so), other times I would react hours later. From what I have read, dairy related foods aren't something we as humans are naturally set up to process (like all this wheat!). I would recommend cutting out the casein especially during this initial process simply to give your body time to adjust. No use harassing it with stuff that's hard to digest even if you might be able to. Best of luck!

I have antibodies to Caesin, I've been tested. I can tell you my symptoms are within 15 minutes of consumption, and it is intense joint pain. It is never "sometimes". It doesn't matter if it is a tiny bit of dairy or a moderate amount, the symptoms are always the same. So it's really hard to say either way, you just have to listen to your body. Lactose free or not, I still have intense joint pain. It's almost harder for me to give up the dairy than it is the gluten. I know the gluten is going to kill me, but the dairy just makes me miserable. Even dairy free cheese (still has caesin) sends me in agony. That is my reaction, so you might stay away for a while and then try one more time and see if you get the same reaction.

I have antibodies to Caesin, I've been tested. I can tell you my symptoms are within 15 minutes of consumption, and it is intense joint pain. It is never "sometimes". It doesn't matter if it is a tiny bit of dairy or a moderate amount, the symptoms are always the same. So it's really hard to say either way, you just have to listen to your body. Lactose free or not, I still have intense joint pain. It's almost harder for me to give up the dairy than it is the gluten. I know the gluten is going to kill me, but the dairy just makes me miserable. Even dairy free cheese (still has caesin) sends me in agony. That is my reaction, so you might stay away for a while and then try one more time and see if you get the same reaction.

I learned of my casein & whey intolerances the hard way. I ate soy cheese that I thought was safe because it was labeled "dairy-free." Then I endured the consequences, which in my case meant severe asthma. I had already eliminated all grains, all milk & dairy, egg whites, yeast, msg, and modified food starch from grain. Later I found Vegesoy non-dairy cheese, with no casein or whey, and the problem was solved. Now I search labels diligently for casein or whey or any of the above items. Hope you are able to learn what is causing your discomfort. Best wishes. Welda