bridgetm

Renewed Lactose-Intolerance After Going Gluten-Free?

Rate this topic

I've had mild lactose intolerance off and on since some time in grade school, but it usually came in waves (one day I could eat a bowl of ice cream with a glass of milk and have no problems and a few days later just a half a glass of milk would land me in the bathroom for a day or two). Out of habit (and never knowing when it will hit me) I typically avoid milk, excessive amounts of cheese, etc. The cheese on pizza was usually okay because of all of the crust which can cushion it in the stomach; small amounts on burgers were okay for the same reason.

I'm about a week into being gluten-free and on Sunday I decided I could probably use the nutrients especially since I've continued regular workouts and the physical therapy for my knee. I went for half of a glass of chocolate milk combined with half of whatever soy milk they serve in the caf. At the same meal, I had about a 1/2 cup of pudding. That night I had some bad stomach cramps and that weird nervous feeling in my stomach which I've come to associate with lactose-intolerance. That was lunch; I was better in the morning.

At dinner tonight I had a small amount of chocolate pudding (probably about 1/2 cup) and started getting abdominal pain and those odd feelings in my stomach about an hour later. I had assumed my reaction on Sunday was from the milk as I've never had much of a problem with pudding, especially when it's thicker due to less milk added, but now I am starting to wonder if any milk at all is aggravating my intestines.

I have also had minor problems with nuts in the past, especially cashews. Reactions have always been limited to throat irritation and shortness of breath which usually passes after a few minutes and a glass of water. However, yesterday a Cashew Cookie flavored Lara bar gave me chest pain, shortness of breath and upper-abdominal pain.

I've seen the posts on this board noting that lactose-intolerance and other food allergies are commonly found after diagnosis, but this seems like it's just gotten worse since going gluten-free. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, it's very common. The reason is because lactose is processed by the very same villi in the intestines that has been damaged by Celiac. Since you are new to the diet, just stay off dairy for a few months, then challenge it. I would say more than not overcome lactose intolerance once the intestines have a chance to heal.

I first became totally lactose intolerant long before I knew about gluten intolerance. It was only recently that I challenged lactose because I remembered so vividly how I reacted to it (I could always eat yogurt, cheese, sour cream, anything cultured, just not milk. ice cream, cream). I am now enjoying bowls of ice cream without even the crutch of Lactaid tablets. :D Lay off the lactose for a while and you should be fine.

Okay, good to know. I didn't know that's how it's processed.