This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Confused Right Now

Sandi575

Sandi575 Rookie

I have been gluten free for almost a month now and not a whole lot has changed.I am worried about the reason why although I think I know the reason. I have been really careful about watching what i eat and I am pretty sure I am not be cross contaminated in any way. I think the problem is in my boyfriend. I think I am being glutened when I kiss him as he is a beer drinker. HHe does drink it a little much in my opinion but then again, I am not and have never been a big drinker so I can't really say. It seems to me I have 2 options, don't kiss him or get him to stop drinking but i don't think that is very fair. But at the same time I think to myself "why am I even bothering with watching what I eat then if I am just going to keep making myself sick?" At the rate I am going, I may as well just start eating all of things that I am not supposed to (not that I am going to). I am just confused as to what to do. Could this be why I am still so sick all the time?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

It can absolutely be a problem. If he is going to continue to drink beer, maybe you can have him drink a gluten free beer? If not, then he has to wash his face thoroughly, brush his teeth and use a good strong mouthwash like Listerine before you kiss him. Otherwise, he is going to suffer from a lack of affection!

I got glutenated when my bf drank scotch. Scotch is supposed to be gluten free because of the distillation, but my body says otherwise. He now knows that he gets no kisses unless he is either gluten free while with me, or thoroughly scrubbed first.

Since you're still new to the diet, you could also still be healing or have some secondary intolerances going on, but the beer kissing is definitely a problem!

Good luck with that.

Janie

Sandi575 Rookie

It can absolutely be a problem. If he is going to continue to drink beer, maybe you can have him drink a gluten free beer? If not, then he has to wash his face thoroughly, brush his teeth and use a good strong mouthwash like Listerine before you kiss him. Otherwise, he is going to suffer from a lack of affection!

I got glutenated when my bf drank scotch. Scotch is supposed to be gluten free because of the distillation, but my body says otherwise. He now knows that he gets no kisses unless he is either gluten free while with me, or thoroughly scrubbed first.

Since you're still new to the diet, you could also still be healing or have some secondary intolerances going on, but the beer kissing is definitely a problem!

Good luck with that.

Janie

Thanks so much! Maybe I will get lucky and he will give up the beer altogether - ok i ccan dream can't i?! I am thinking about other intolerances too. I have been keeping a journal but i can't figure it out. I have an appointment with a food allergist next week so maybe that will shed some light on me too.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Did you try cutting soy and dairy? Those two seem to be common secondary intolerances for lots of people. I had to cut both of them and still soy makes me feel like a knife in my gut. Dairy I've been able to add back in moderation now after 3 months.

Tapioca bothers me too and it's in lots of gluten free replacements.

And yes you can get glutened from kissing. I didn't believe it until it happened to me. Not sure how you can handle it. I mean how many beers does he drink? Not to be dramatic or anything, but if he has a drinking problem, then getting glutened is the least of your worries.

Everyone has a different opinion of what makes a drinking problem so you need to make that decision for yourself if his drinking is a tolerable and reasonable habit.

buffettbride Enthusiast

My hubby is gluten free and I eat gluten. I just make sure that I brush my teeth before I kiss him if I've had gluten.

Archived