Roda

Homemade Almond Milk

Rate this topic

I made almond milk today. It tastes soooo much better than the Pacific Natural Foods organic almond non-dairy beverage I bought. I soaked 1 1/2 cups of almonds over 8 hours and took off the skins. Then I put half in the blender with 2 cups water and blended for several minutes. I then added about 1 TBS honey and blended well. I repeated for the remainder almonds. I poured it through a mesh strainer and then put the pulp in cheese cloth to squeeze out the rest of the milk. I chose not to strain it again since I don't mind some pulp. I'll just shake it up good. It has a very nice aroma and taste. Even dh said it was not bad. I am going to dry out the rest of the almond "pulp" and use it for almond meal in baking. NO WASTE! I may never go back to regular milk. I am also experimenting with coconut yogurt. My first attempt failed. I didn't have access to any dairy free yogurt for a starter so I did use a TBS of plain dairy yogurt for attempt #2. I can still handle that so I'm not worried. I haven't looked at it yet to see if it worked. I've been having fun experimenting with new things. :)

Edit: I think next time I will let them soak over night (about the same time) then blanch them. I am pretty sure the skins will come off easier this way. (At least I hope :lol: )

Edited by Roda

I do this too. I don't bother to remove the skins, way too lazy. It also works well with walnuts and hazelnuts. It is great for making your own flavored coffees!

You can make your own grain milk too. I use 1/3 c. flour for 4 cups of water. First I cook it in a smaller amount of water to thicken it. I also add a pinch salt, 1T honey and 1T vanilla, blend and strain.

What do you mean by grain milk? I have just started making almond milk and love it. But it's pretty expensive. I am sensitive to quinoa as well as gluten. Any suggestions of grains? And could I make rice milk out of rice flour? That would sure make it easier.

I'm still making almond milk, but I have discovered a few things. From what I have read soaking the nuts so many hours or overnight helps you digest them better but, I've decided to just take the almonds unsoaked and blanch them to remove the skins. It comes out much better. I have noticed the last few times I soaked the nuts that the milk had a slight musty smell. It does not when I just blanch them and to me tastes much better. Also the cheese cloth was getting to be bothersome, so I found some jelly straining bags that are nylon mesh in the canning isle at our local Ace Hardware store. They work like a charm. I put the bag into the mason jar with it folded down over the lip, pour the milk in, raise it up and screw a lid on top to secure it. When it is done dripping I squeeze the rest of the liquid out. Of course not wanting to waste a thing, I save the pulp and use it in baking. The last batch I made woopie pies. I just turn the bag inside out and rinse and hang to dry. They are so much cheeper than purchasing nut milk bags. If I hadn't have found those I was going to go to the hardware store and find nylon paint strainer bags. Just thought I would share. :rolleyes: I'm also curious if anyone else has made any other type of nut milk, and if so how did you like it?

I've noticed that musty smell too. I'll try without soaking next time. That would be more convenient too, I wouldn't have to remember to shell the nuts the day before I need them. I thought that it was supposed to remove the bitter taste. I have made pecan, almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew, and grain. I use a grain mixture of 6 different gluten free grains. I make it from the flour. I've made ice cream from it too. I don't bother removing the skins. I use a Oneida fine strainer rather than cheesecloth.