This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help!

dewc1

dewc1 Newbie

I am a 36 year old male that has been dealing with "stomach issues" since I was about 14 years old. Over the past 2-3 years, I have been getting progressively worse. I picked up a virus about 3 years ago, and have not been the same since.

My Symptoms:

bloating

flatulence

belching

diarrhea

cramping

I will not have a bowel movement for 3 or 4 days, then usually get really crampy and have diarrhea.

I have been tested for the following:

colitis

Krones Disease

lactose intollerance

gall bladder

Celiac (blood test only)

ulcers

giardia and other parasites

EGD/colonoscopy test showed irritation in both my esophagus and small intestine.

and a few benign polyps were removed.

I did test positive for fructose malabsorption/intollerance, but my score was not off the chart, it was barely above normal.

I also had allergy testing (skin prick) and they found the following as positive allergens:

whole wheat

cultivated oats

rice

fish mix

celery

oranges

buckwheat

strawberry

chocolate

Chicken and rice also showed up on the food patch test!

I do not get any typical allergic reactions when I eat these though. No hives, no anaphalactic reactions, etc.

THey have tried:

Align (probiotice)

xanax (in case nerve related)

aciphex

nexium

Bentyl (am trying now-it has only been a week on it, but I do not feel any better)

The allergist thinks I may have something called eosinophillic esophagitis because sometimes my food gets stuck and I choke.

I have lost over 30 pounds in the last 6 months (and I was not really overweight to begin with), and cannot seem to eat anything. Milk products make me sick, even though lactose and allergy tests were both negative.

Help, please.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gary'sgirl Explorer

Did you take gluten out of your diet? The blood tests often have false negatives - especially if you were not eating much at the time. If you haven't yet tried it, I would try going off of gluten for awhile and see what happens. Try a really simple diet - mostly veggies, because if you do happen to have a gluten problem your body may not digest a lot of foods even if you are not intolerant to them.

Hope you find some answers soon.

dewc1 Newbie

Did you take gluten out of your diet? The blood tests often have false negatives - especially if you were not eating much at the time. If you haven't yet tried it, I would try going off of gluten for awhile and see what happens. Try a really simple diet - mostly veggies, because if you do happen to have a gluten problem your body may not digest a lot of foods even if you are not intolerant to them.

Hope you find some answers soon.

I quit eating all of the foods listed for about 30 days, but unfortunately I was consuming wheat in some foods and was not aware of it (french fries, etc.). How long does it take before you notice improvement?

I know that the skin prick tests were positive for those foods, but I never get any hives or anything-just GI upset. If I take everything out that I am allergic or intollerant to, there is not much left.

I have also been reading about yeast overgrowth. I was on antibiotics as a child/teenager frequently (tetracycline for 2+ years straight). I am now trying to eat yogurt, but dairy usually does not settle well.

DinaB Apprentice

I am a 36 year old male that has been dealing with "stomach issues" since I was about 14 years old. Over the past 2-3 years, I have been getting progressively worse. I picked up a virus about 3 years ago, and have not been the same since.

My Symptoms:

bloating

flatulence

belching

diarrhea

cramping

I will not have a bowel movement for 3 or 4 days, then usually get really crampy and have diarrhea.

I have been tested for the following:

colitis

Krones Disease

lactose intollerance

gall bladder

Celiac (blood test only)

ulcers

giardia and other parasites

EGD/colonoscopy test showed irritation in both my esophagus and small intestine.

and a few benign polyps were removed.

I did test positive for fructose malabsorption/intollerance, but my score was not off the chart, it was barely above normal.

I also had allergy testing (skin prick) and they found the following as positive allergens:

whole wheat

cultivated oats

rice

fish mix

celery

oranges

buckwheat

strawberry

chocolate

Chicken and rice also showed up on the food patch test!

I do not get any typical allergic reactions when I eat these though. No hives, no anaphalactic reactions, etc.

THey have tried:

Align (probiotice)

xanax (in case nerve related)

aciphex

nexium

Bentyl (am trying now-it has only been a week on it, but I do not feel any better)

The allergist thinks I may have something called eosinophillic esophagitis because sometimes my food gets stuck and I choke.

I have lost over 30 pounds in the last 6 months (and I was not really overweight to begin with), and cannot seem to eat anything. Milk products make me sick, even though lactose and allergy tests were both negative.

Help, please.

DinaB Apprentice

Have you been tested for H-pylori? It is a bacteria that causes gas, bloating, acid reflux. pylori weakens the protective mucous coating of the stomach and duodenum, which allows acid to get through to the sensitive lining beneath. Both the acid and the bacteria irritate the lining and cause a sore, or ulcer.

dewc1 Newbie

Have you been tested for H-pylori? It is a bacteria that causes gas, bloating, acid reflux. pylori weakens the protective mucous coating of the stomach and duodenum, which allows acid to get through to the sensitive lining beneath. Both the acid and the bacteria irritate the lining and cause a sore, or ulcer.

Yes, I was tested for Hpylori and it was negative.

Archived