This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spreading The News?

lcharpen

lcharpen Newbie

I was just dx a month ago and have started on a gluten-free diet... but I'm having a really hard time telling people. I don't want to make a big deal of it and I almost feel embarassed. Which I know is silly, I can't help being gluten intolerant... I just have a hard time talking about it. And how do you bring it up anyway? "Oh hey, by the way... I just discovered wheat is the devil?"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Black Sheep Apprentice

Welcome to the board!

I've been g.f. for about 5 1/2 weeks, and if the situation comes up where someone's offering me stuff with gluten, wants to get together for pizza, etc., I just tell them, I can't eat gluten anymore. They usually ask a few questions about that, which I'm happy to answer, and so far about the worst reaction I've gotten is one of sympathy, or comments like, "Well, if you can stick to that type of diet, more power to you--but I sure couldn't!" To which--depending on my mood--I either smile understandingly and say nothing, or say something about how that's too bad....because gluten intolerance is so common, that millions of people have it and don't even know it, and so have no idea what's causing their auto-immune disorders and various "tummy troubles". That shuts them right up! :lol:

Not that I'm really trying to shut them up--heck, I'll talk to them as long as they want about the subject and it's symptoms, effects, etc., but....at that point, they just don't want to think about the possibility that they might have it. Just like me, in the very near past. But, I guess the bottom line is, as I said in another thread re. this subject: I really don't give a rat's rear end what people think. :rolleyes:

tmbarke Apprentice

I was just dx a month ago and have started on a gluten-free diet... but I'm having a really hard time telling people. I don't want to make a big deal of it and I almost feel embarassed. Which I know is silly, I can't help being gluten intolerant... I just have a hard time talking about it. And how do you bring it up anyway? "Oh hey, by the way... I just discovered wheat is the devil?"

My simple response is........I'm sorry, I can only eat at Olive Garden, Outback or Carrabas since I was just diagnosed with food allergies and those places have allergen menus.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to join you for drinks!

I don't want people to treat me differently (which they will) because I'm one in a million to them with THAT kind of allergy.

But my work has agreed to add fruits and veggies and dip for meetings now along with cookies and donuts for everyone else.

They don't and won't cater to me - but I'm ok with that.......since I truly trust only MY cooking and foods I put into my mouth.

Participate! Carry a salad dressing with you and have a salad......I also find that most potato skins are safe but you can ask to see the ingredients from the container or details about the process.....and feel no shame! But if anyone likes Italian! Olive Garden and Carrabas are to DIE FOR! I have the chicken kabobs with steamed veggies and salad (it's on the gluten-free menu!)

Archived