Jessie A

Unsafe Ingredients By Number?

Rate this topic

Hey Guys,

I arrived in Dunedin, New Zealand in the beginning of January and since then I've been having a really hard time reading labels. I was recently diagnosed with celiac (Oct 2009) but I've got a pretty good grip on what chemicals/preservatives I can and can't eat. The only issue here is New Zealand food ingredients are numbers more often than words and I don't know what those numbers equate to in words. As you can imagine I've been messing up (a lot) and haven't been feeling that great. Does anyone know where I can find a list of gluten free ingredients in number form? I don't really know where else to ask - people at the actual grocery stores aren't really that helpful.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Jessie

Hey Guys,

I arrived in Dunedin, New Zealand in the beginning of January and since then I've been having a really hard time reading labels. I was recently diagnosed with celiac (Oct 2009) but I've got a pretty good grip on what chemicals/preservatives I can and can't eat. The only issue here is New Zealand food ingredients are numbers more often than words and I don't know what those numbers equate to in words. As you can imagine I've been messing up (a lot) and haven't been feeling that great. Does anyone know where I can find a list of gluten free ingredients in number form? I don't really know where else to ask - people at the actual grocery stores aren't really that helpful.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Jessie

Hi, Jessie:

I have to admit to being a bit embarrassed about not being able to come up with this information right offhand. I know that the numbers 1421.... are okay, but I used to be able to find this online. Now I find that they have taken it offline and published it in a booklet :o , which you have to buy :angry:

as follows:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/Food%20Labels%20Posterfinal%20.pdf

FSANZ has also produced a booklet called

Put this down to my strange morose sense of humor, but this puts me in mind of the old Police song "Murder by Numbers" ... :blink:

~Allison

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about (see pages 8-16)? http://www.foodstandards.govt.nz/_srcfiles/Standard_1_2_4_Labelling_of_Ingred_v115.pdf

There are more pdfs on their web site; I'm not sure if the others give other ingredient lists. Listing by code seems so confusing. Is it to save space on packaging?