Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I ate Quaker Instant Grits , and had an AD (allergic dermatitis) flare-up in a matter of 20 minutes. Is this gluten-free? I thought it was since its made from corn, and just has a few added vitamins in it. If not, could it be a matter of cross contamination or another allergy?

~ Becky

Diagnosed Celiac/DH in April 2010.

Gluten and dairy-free since 4/26/10.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hate to break it to you but it could be one, the other, or both. many of us have a reaction to corn products. there is also a lot of discussion that only only a few companies have true gluten free oats. put that together and corn grits are a flair up waiting to happen.

if it makes you feel any better, i bough the same box for my parents for when they visit so they could have something besides eggs (that and they really like grits.) i seem to do ok w/ Quaker oats (though supposedly they aren't 100% purely gluten-free) and while 1/2 asleep i made the wrong package one morning recently.

-severe soy, wheat & yeast allergies 2006

-penicillin allergy 2008

-multiple other food & environmental allergies starting 1982

-non-iron deficient anemia - life long

-migraines 3/07

-negative celiac blood testing 10/09 & upper endoscopy biopsy 3/10

-negative GERD observation during upper endoscopy 3/10

-positive hereditary hiatial hernia during upper endoscopy 3/10

+continually working on gluten-free/CF/SF related to allergies & celiac like symptoms

+continually working on elimination of caffine, chocolate, & spicy foods related to hernia & heartburn

Try these Arrowhead Mills certified gluten free grits from

(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned):

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Arrowhead-Mills-Organic-Yellow-24-Ounce/dp/B001ELL6KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1272491633&sr=8-1-spell

I have used them and have had no problems.They are pricey but you get

four boxes.

The brands in the store all have wheat (why?) .

I buy grits from Bob's Red Mill gluten-free line, however, I have eaten Quaker grits without problem. I happen to have a new package of it in my kitchen (I love grits), but have not used it yet since I happen to have gluten-free grits. But I have eaten grits in restaurants a few times, and I am sure they were not serving me Bob's Red Mill gluten-free grits, and i was fine ;)

Anne in Chicago

Pescatarian since 2005

Diagnosed by blood test February 2009, biopsy June 2009, at age 36

Gluten-free since 3.16.2009