Juliebove

New Places To Buy Gluten Free Food

Rate this topic

I was at Albertsons the other day and there was a big sign just inside the door telling us to check our their new gluten-free section. I did! I know they have carried some gluten-free pasta for a while, but now they have all this stuff in one section. Granted it was only 60" of counter space, but it's good for us! They had some Ener-G bread. I know a lot of people won't eat it but daughter will. Now in a pinch, I can buy a loaf of bread and some meat and she can have a sandwich at the dance studio that is nearby.

Then tonight I got an e-mail from Kmart telling me about a new pet promotion and asking me to check out their new grocery section. I wasn't expecting anything when I typed in "gluten-free" but tons of products came up. Some seem not to be available and you do have to buy by the case. Not sure if the prices are good or not. I did see some flour that didn't look like it was really gluten-free, but it wasn't available so I couldn't check the ingredients. I don't have a K Mart near me and the ones that are here don't have a grocery section. But apparently some do. I wonder if they carry this stuff in the brick and mortar stores as well?

Our Walmart supermarket is being renovated and I noticed a small section devoted to gluten free items. Granted, most of them I don't buy - cookies, crackers, flour, but they did have the Glutino pretzels. So this is definitely a step in the right direction. I have read that the gluten free share of the food development sector is the fastest growing one. I wish there was a gluten free "fair" where companies had taste testing displays. These foods are so expensive and I have had to throw out some products because they were horrible. I have read about Daiya cheese and see that it is being sold at one store here in north Dallas, so I am going to try it. It is supposed to be dairy, lactose, soy free and I miss cheese so much.

I have found that many of these mainstream places have a clearance section where they put soon to be expired or already expired stuff marked down 50% for quick sale. We chanced it and purchased some stuff and all of it was fine so I check it everytime I go in now and have picked up Pamela's brownie mix, Ians' Apple Pie Go bars, and DeBowls spaghetti on the cheap. I've gotten to the point where I can find things often enough that I generally only buy gluten-free specialty products if they are on sale, with a coupon or marked down.