This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Translating Bloodwork?

cblack

cblack Apprentice

I just got a copy of my bloodwork back from my doctor and here are the results:

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA 3

Reference 0-19

This is all that was done. I thought there was a little more extensive testing done than this?? Maybe I am wrong. He says I'm not celiac and basically brushed me off. The only other "oddities" in the bloodwork was a Vitamin D deficiency, MCH & MCV were slightly elevated, and RBC was slightly low. Can someone tell me if this is all that is done in a celiac panel? This board has been a life saver! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Sorry to say you did not get the full pannel. Your doctor needs to order a total IgA to see if you are deficient. If you are, then the standard IgA tests are invalid. Here are the tests he needs to order: total IgA, IgA tTg, antigliadin IgA/IgG, EMA and if IgA deficient, IgG tTg. Hope this helps! I had to request the doctor specifically write out each test separatly, because the first time (on both of my boys) they wrote a "celiac panel" (which to him he wanted all of the above), but the lab would not recognize the celiac panel and defaulted to the total IgA and the IgA tTg. So my one boy has been stuck twice. Also I did not know when I got tested that I needed all of those. I only initially had the IgA tTg and luckily (or I probably would still be undiagnosed) it was overwhelmingly positive. Don't be afraid to ask for the rest of them.

cblack Apprentice

Sorry to say you did not get the full pannel. Your doctor needs to order a total IgA to see if you are deficient. If you are, then the standard IgA tests are invalid. Here are the tests he needs to order: total IgA, IgA tTg, antigliadin IgA/IgG, EMA and if IgA deficient, IgG tTg. Hope this helps! I had to request the doctor specifically write out each test separatly, because the first time (on both of my boys) they wrote a "celiac panel" (which to him he wanted all of the above), but the lab would not recognize the celiac panel and defaulted to the total IgA and the IgA tTg. So my one boy has been stuck twice. Also I did not know when I got tested that I needed all of those. I only initially had the IgA tTg and luckily (or I probably would still be undiagnosed) it was overwhelmingly positive. Don't be afraid to ask for the rest of them.

Thank you for replying Roda! I emailed my doctor's office earlier today requesting why only the one test was run. This is the reply tha I received:

"If Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA is negative, the Endomysial Ab, IgA Titer by IFA is not performed."

Why does this have to be so difficult?!?

Roda Rising Star

Thank you for replying Roda! I emailed my doctor's office earlier today requesting why only the one test was run. This is the reply tha I received:

"If Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA is negative, the Endomysial Ab, IgA Titer by IFA is not performed."

Why does this have to be so difficult?!?

My oldest boy after all that, still didn't get the EMA test since the tTg was negative too. That was a fight I was sure to loose. He did get the antigliadin antibodies and antiretculin antibodies and the tTg. though. I think the antireticulin antibodies are not really used any more.

Archived