kbidarch

Wheat *fields* And Celiac -- ?

Rate this topic

I live in a semi rural area; there are literally hundreds of acres of wheat fields around here. We're just beginning to delve into the world of Celiac, but I've been wondering if there is any risk in being surrounded by non-ingested wheat. My daughter who thus-far is Celiac-positive also has severe asthmatic symptoms, though no official asthma diagnosis yet. We try to stay indoors on "allergy alert days" but I have been wondering if it's possible that her "asthma" is actually related to inhaling wheat. I know that seems more like an allergic response, versus Celiac - perhaps, but I'm not sure.

Has anybody faced a similar situation? My husband and I have long hoped to purchase an acerage of our own (NOT to grow wheat though ;)), but now I wonder how wise it would be to completely surround a family of Celiacs with wheat fields... maybe moving to the city would be wiser. We want to address the Celiac in the most logical manner possible.

I know that I got terribly sick when I accidentally inhaled a tiny bit of flour when I threw all mine away. I think that it might depend on how sensitive you are.

I have problems with wheat pollen and the wheat harvest. I try to stay inside and run my air-purifier on high on those days. Breathing in that stuff makes me so tired and clogs my sinuses.

I live in a semi rural area; there are literally hundreds of acres of wheat fields around here. We're just beginning to delve into the world of Celiac, but I've been wondering if there is any risk in being surrounded by non-ingested wheat. My daughter who thus-far is Celiac-positive also has severe asthmatic symptoms, though no official asthma diagnosis yet. We try to stay indoors on "allergy alert days" but I have been wondering if it's possible that her "asthma" is actually related to inhaling wheat. I know that seems more like an allergic response, versus Celiac - perhaps, but I'm not sure.

Has anybody faced a similar situation? My husband and I have long hoped to purchase an acerage of our own (NOT to grow wheat though ;)), but now I wonder how wise it would be to completely surround a family of Celiacs with wheat fields... maybe moving to the city would be wiser. We want to address the Celiac in the most logical manner possible.

I live in wheat country....I wonder how this will effect me