sfsassy

Newly Gluten Free And Need Some Tips

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of this process. I figured out the gluten intolerance after doing an elimination diet.

After that, my GI did a genetic test that confirmed I had one of the Celiac genes, but not necessarily the disease. He said the gold standard is to get a biopsy. I had a biopsy a year ago that found H Pylori (no Celiac) but all my major symptoms started 6 months after the H Pylori.

So question 1: Can H Pylori trigger Celiac Disease (if you have the gene)?

In any case, my body is reacting pretty well to a gluten free diet. I am about 3 weeks in now. I am also coming slowly off my elimination diet. I am adding some other things back in.

Question 2. Since adding dairy and soy back into my diet I have noticed some slight discomfort (nothing like eating gluten though). Are these good things to add in later? Should your body heal more before adding these back?

Thanks for listening!

I'll hit up question 2, and let someone else answer number 1. If you are having some discomfort, I would drop the dairy and soy back out of your diet, and add only one at a time after a few months. Some say 6 months. I added them back after about 4-5 month gluten free, and it's been hit or miss until recently. Now I can have a few ounces of dairy per day, and I'm fine. Soy -- there's all new debates and old about soy and whether or not it is good for us. I try to limit my exposure to it, as I make all my own food for the most part.

I'll hit up question 2, and let someone else answer number 1. If you are having some discomfort, I would drop the dairy and soy back out of your diet, and add only one at a time after a few months. Some say 6 months. I added them back after about 4-5 month gluten free, and it's been hit or miss until recently. Now I can have a few ounces of dairy per day, and I'm fine. Soy -- there's all new debates and old about soy and whether or not it is good for us. I try to limit my exposure to it, as I make all my own food for the most part.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking I needed to wait a bit longer. I have also heard recently that soy is under great debate too.

There is an association between celiac and H. pylori but I did a search and didn't turn up reports of H. pylori triggering celiac disease in the medical literature. That doesn't mean it didn't happen to you, of course.

It took me a full year eating gluten-free before I could tolerate soy and milk without GI symptoms.

There is an association between celiac and H. pylori but I did a search and didn't turn up reports of H. pylori triggering celiac disease in the medical literature. That doesn't mean it didn't happen to you, of course.

It took me a full year eating gluten-free before I could tolerate soy and milk without GI symptoms.

I did read somewhere that sometimes a traumatic event or illness sometimes triggers it. (Meaning you always had it, but without symptoms) I was trying to figure out how this all started. It's been a crazy year.

But from what I have seen, it sometimes takes a lot longer to figure out, so I am thankful. Both my reg Doc and GI looked at Celiac very quickly.

I've been dairy free for 7 years(ish) and now after one year gluten free I am able to tolerate little bits of dairy here and there, like in chocolate. I'm scared to fully try a real milk product but I'm thinking of doing it soon just to see.. I assume it will be a different time frame for anybody and some people may not outgrow the intolerances as they heal.