AKcollegestudent

I Love Misinformation....

Rate this topic

I follow a number of food communities, and one had an interesting recipe for stuffed zucchini; it was naturally gluten-free and I decided to check comments to see what others thought.

Someone else noted that it was gluten-free and that she was looking forward to the millet and chickpea combination.

The original poster informed them that no, it wasn't gluten-free. Apparently, her mother was routinely glutened by millet. I asked if the millet was CC'ed, since--as far as I know, and as far as Google tells me--millet's gluten-free.

She replies that no, there's a minor amount of gluten in it.

What gives? I'm about 95% certain that she's incorrect (not least because millet's from a vastly different plant family), but I'm not even certain how to correct her information.

Maybe Millet in itself is Gluten free, but has a high probability of being cross contaminated with Wheat like being harvested with Wheat or processed in the same factories?

Millet is definitely gluten-free, although contamination can occur with anything. It is not likely, since millet and wheat are not generally processed in the same facilities.

Millet is definitely gluten-free, although contamination can occur with anything. It is not likely, since millet and wheat are not generally processed in the same facilities.

Oh good. I seriously thought that I was losing my mind. Thanks for affirming my sanity!

I eat quite a bit of millet. It is definitely gluten free. CC could be an issue possibly. I've come across a few brands that have the "May contain gluten" statement on the back.

I made a loaf of lemon millet seed bread this weekend and no problems here.

I have also used millet flour in baking bread.

I use Bob's Red Mill for flour and Eden Foods for the seeds.

Millet is gluten-free--the person was most likely intolerant to it.

Give them the wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet This is an ancient Asian and African cereal grass. Little round seeds. Drought tolerant.

The millets include species in several genera, mostly in the subfamily Panicoideae, of the grass family Poaceae. Of the major and minor millets (not including those plants sometimes called millet) all of the species are in the tribe Paniceae of the subfamily Panicoideae except for finger millet.

and the standard definition of celiac/gluten intolerance is an auto immune reaction to the protein called gluten in wheat, rye, spelt, and barley.

Wheat family is TRITICUM. Comes from the "fertile crescent" in the mid east.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat Oblong, has hulls or husks that need to be removed to use as food.

Main article: Gluten sensitivity

Roughly 1% of Indo-European populations[20][21] has coeliac (also written as celiac) disease