Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KevinG

Should I Have Been Eating Gluten Prior To These Tests?

My gastroenterologist ordered some blood tests for celiac; my results are below. His nurse told me based on the results that I don't have celiac and am not at risk for developing it. However, I had been on a gluten-free diet for months prior to the tests. (Occasionally some gluten slips in, but I am pretty careful.) Does that render the below tests invalid?

yDvDJ.png

• Tissue transglutaminase antibody, IgA (normal is <20): 4
  • Endomysial AB IgA: negative

Enterolab results:

• [*]Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (normal is <10): 52 Units [*]Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (normal is <10): 30 Units [*]Fecal Fat Score (normal is <300): Less than 300 [*]Fecal Anti-casein (cow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Your results are negative for antibodies related to celiac disease, but if you have not been eating gluten then there will not be antibodies--at least not enough to register on the test. I was retested a few years ago, and everything was normal. Does that mean that I no longer have celiac disease? NO! It means that I have been very successful in following the gluten-free diet, and there is not any gluten in my food to trigger the autoimmune response. :)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

You need to be eating the equivelant of 2 to 3 slices of bread a day for about 2 months or longer for any chance of a positive test.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

It looks like you have one or two HLA DQ 2 markers and that means that you are predisposed to developing Celiac Disease. I can't tell exactly what test they did - they call it a molecular test which may not mean they actually determined which DQ allele(s) you inherited so we can't tell whether you are high risk or low risk. Call the lab which did the test and ask them to tell you what it means and if you would get more information if you had the DNA marker test.

DQ6/DQ8

HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302

Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006