KevinG

Should I Have Been Eating Gluten Prior To These Tests?

Rate this topic

My gastroenterologist ordered some blood tests for celiac; my results are below. His nurse told me based on the results that I don't have celiac and am not at risk for developing it. However, I had been on a gluten-free diet for months prior to the tests. (Occasionally some gluten slips in, but I am pretty careful.) Does that render the below tests invalid?

yDvDJ.png

Your results are negative for antibodies related to celiac disease, but if you have not been eating gluten then there will not be antibodies--at least not enough to register on the test. I was retested a few years ago, and everything was normal. Does that mean that I no longer have celiac disease? NO! It means that I have been very successful in following the gluten-free diet, and there is not any gluten in my food to trigger the autoimmune response. :)

• Upvote 1

You need to be eating the equivelant of 2 to 3 slices of bread a day for about 2 months or longer for any chance of a positive test.

It looks like you have one or two HLA DQ 2 markers and that means that you are predisposed to developing Celiac Disease. I can't tell exactly what test they did - they call it a molecular test which may not mean they actually determined which DQ allele(s) you inherited so we can't tell whether you are high risk or low risk. Call the lab which did the test and ask them to tell you what it means and if you would get more information if you had the DNA marker test.