• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bean

Bacterial Enzyme Renders Gluten Harmless

Rate this topic

Here is another multi-enzyme product, SerenAid, that contains DPP-IV:

http://www.klaire.com/S123-C180_proddetail.htm

This may not be good for Celiac, because it contains protease* - please don't order, or take, it without getting the correct information. I am going to contact Klaire, the manufacturer, and see what they say.

*This link has been posted before, which has protease info:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionceliac.htm

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

That warning, as mentioned above, means that the FDA did not test the product. Lack of FDA testing does not make it bad, but it DOES make me hesitate. I like to see sever 3rd party indpendent testing on things these important.

I tell you what though... lets assume for a min it only treats the symptons, I would CERTINLY try it. If I could give it to my toddler after he gets some gluten (you cant stop a toddler, all you can do is reduce LOL), that would make the stuff worth its weight in gluten free gold!

Here's a little research I just found regarding an enzyme that supposedly can "neutralize" celiac disease.  (I'll stick in the main parts and put the link at the end :))

In the September 27 issue of Science, Chaitan Khosla and his coworkers at Stanford University and the University of Norway in Oslo, report disassembling the large, complex mixture of gluten proteins and identifying a single component that triggers the autoimmune response characteristic of celiac sprue.

The researchers determined that the autoimmune response in people with celiac sprue can be traced to an unusually long molecule - a chain of 33 amino acids - that cannot be broken down by the human digestive system. They immersed the 33-amino acid chain in digestive enzymes derived from bacteria and found that a bacterial enzyme, prolyl endopeptidase, can break the chain into apparently harmless components.

In the small intestine, enzymes from the pancreas initially digest gluten by breaking it into a number of fragments called peptides. In most people, the larger peptides probably work their way down to the lower intestine where they are eaten by microorganisms.

"But in people with celiac sprue, the stable 33-amino acid peptide causes big problems because the molecule is recognized as being a threat to the person's immune system,"

Khosla and his coworkers believe the bacterial enzymes, which worked in human tissue cultures as well as intact rats, may result in a simple, oral supplement that can eliminate the harmful effects of gluten. The treatment approach would be similar to enzyme supplements taken orally by people who cannot digest lactose, a sugar found in milk.

Khosla adds that an approved therapy could be as many as 5 to 8 years away, although research is already underway and the treatment should be testable in people within 2 to 3 years.

(This research is from 2002) 

Here's the link:  http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/02/pr0277.htm

Let me know if you've heard about this :)

- Michelle :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I HAVE heard about this and my husband actually found a company that is selling a product of this nature claiming it helps those with Celiac, YET at the end of their site they make NO claims. I was too scared to try it out as I DO NOT wnat to be the "trial" person. I will get the name of the site later and get back with you.

Tina :D

I HAVE heard about this and my husband actually found a company that is selling a product of this nature claiming it helps those with Celiac, YET at the end of their site they make NO claims. I was too scared to try it out as I DO NOT wnat to be the "trial" person. I will get the name of the site later and get back with you.

Tina  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense, but most of your posting is just a copy of the one that started this thread. If you're afraid to try the enzyme that is available, then would you please be kind enough to either give us some new information or leave some room for those that are not afraid?

Thank you.

NO OFFENSE Celiachap, but I did not like your answer to the person before you. That was her second posting and I found your answer rude. I thought a Forum was for ALL ideas to come to light. So, she is scared to test the product and that is her right. There are probably a great many of us who were so ill (and almost died) that the thought that something might make us that sick again is pretty scary. I had been extremely pleased with everyones attitude and friendliness on Scott's Forum agenda, but if I have to wonder when I will be attacked for an answer or question that someone does not like, then maybe I am in the worng Forum. Maybe I should just go back to reading Scott's newsletter.

Armetta

NO OFFENSE Celiachap, but I did not like your answer to the person before you.  That was her second posting and I found your answer rude.  I thought a Forum was for ALL ideas to come to light.  So, she is scared to test the product and that is her right.  There are probably a great many of us who were so ill (and almost died) that the thought that something might make us that sick again is pretty scary.  I had been extremely pleased with everyones attitude and friendliness on Scott's Forum agenda, but if I have to wonder when I will be attacked for an answer or question that someone does not like, then maybe I am in the worng Forum.  Maybe I should just go back to reading Scott's newsletter.

Armetta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your "no offense" shout has daggers behind it! Listen, most of the people here have been VERY negative about this product. I'm not asking for any appreciation for finding it (which I did), or trying it (which I am going to do), I just like a LITTLE courtesy and common sense. Basically, that poster said (in her own way) "I'm not going to take the product that my husband heard about but I will supply the name of it for you to take a chance with - when I get around to it." I really don't care about the "friendliness" of a closed minded little clique - I am after solutions to our problems. Several people have criticized this product, apparently without even reading enough to understand what it's about.

Michelle was nice about it, and Eric also. I posted something about it on another thread, and there was negativity. If somebody is not interested in the advancement of a possible digestive aid, and goes postal when something shows some promise, then I give up. I’d like to see much, or all, of the Celiac forums made unnecessary. That is the purpose of scientific advancement. If you want to talk about “manners”, write to some of the other people. I said “please” and “thank you”. What else am I supposed to do, lie down and die for them? :)

I did not "go postal" or anything of the kind. I pointed out, because you didn't on this thread, that this is not a proven treatment. The researchers at Stanford aren't even sure it will work. But first you posted a link to the lab and then to the Stanford release, making it look like we've got a cure here. Your next post made people think that you've been trying it and having positive results, but, by golly, you weren't go to share. Only later in the thread do we find out that you in fact have not tried it but you intend to do so. My only real objection was that you didn't make all of this clear up front. It doesn't matter if you did make it clear on other threads -- not everybody who comes here reads every topic.

You have every right, of course, to make yourself a guinea pig in your own trial-and-error study and to tell folks the results. But for your sake, I hope you work closely with a doctor who will run regular blood tests and do an occasional endoscopy.

richard

I did not "go postal" or anything of the kind. I pointed out, because you didn't on this thread, that this is not a proven treatment. The researchers at Stanford aren't even sure it will work. But first you posted a link to the lab and then to the Stanford release, making it look like we've got a cure here. Your next post made people think that you've been trying it and having positive results, but, by golly, you weren't go to share. Only later in the thread do we find out that you in fact have not tried it but you intend to do so. My only real objection was that you didn't make all of this clear up front. It doesn't matter if you did make it clear on other threads -- not everybody who comes here reads every topic.

You have every right, of course, to make yourself a guinea pig in your own trial-and-error study and to tell folks the results. But for your sake, I hope you work closely with a doctor who will run regular blood tests and do an occasional endoscopy.

richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not everybody had the same mis-read of my postings that you did. I did not "make people think" anything. That is something that I wish I could do, LOL, but it's quite impossible. If you are not interested in this enzyme, then ignore this thread. I am not interested in a LOT of what's on here, and that is exactly what I do - ignore it. To make an informed decision, a person should have all of the facts, and that is what I tried to provide - I posted the links several times. If people choose to ignore them, and think that this is a cure-all for celiac, then that's their problem.

If there are immature, or self-destructive, people that will "cheat" while taking this enzyme that does NOT mean that the majority of people will do the same. We are talking about a HARMLESS* enzyme, from plants. All I want it for is accidental contamination protection - and Michelle said the same, perhaps better than I did. I made no claims about planning to ingest gluten while taking this supplement (which I have a trial bottle of).

Remember the old saying, "He who laughs last, laughs best". I laugh a lot, by the way - last.

* For most people - one person wrote that she got sick from DPP-IV because of a condition that she has, which was indicated to be a risk in the product literature/directions. That is why the company offeres a small "trial" bottle, which I have.

Okay everybody. I think we all need to stop being condescending and/or defensive and/or insensitive. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

The goal here is to determine how effective this is for *one* individual who is willing to try it and see if his life goes more smoothly, in case of *accidental* ingestion of gluten. I think that celiachap is great for being willing to put up his experience and footing the bill of this experiment :) I think that lovegrov is great because he is looking out for everyone and trying to cover the bases about how this supplement is unproven and protect those who haven't read the full info from the websites. I think tinaturb is great for offering up additional info when she finds it. I think armetta is great for reminding us that we are all in this together! I think vydorscope is great for adding humor: " lets assume for a min it only treats the symptons, I would CERTINLY try it. If I could give it to my toddler after he gets some gluten (you cant stop a toddler, all you can do is reduce LOL), that would make the stuff worth its weight in gluten free gold!" :lol:

I think there are probably some other people who also had good stuff but I'm not going back to page one of the posts ;)

Basically what I'm saying here is: Chill out! :)

I'm thrilled at the mere thought of something that could help me following accidental (and inevitable) ingestion of trace amounts of gluten. I'm not looking at this as something that will allow me to eat french pastries three times a day (ooh.. the thought! :P) - but as something that might help to improve my life and calm down the crazy rollercoaster ride called Celiac Disease.

I'm thrilled that all of you are here. Now stop your freakin' bickering and lets get back to the enzymes ;)

- Michelle :wub:

I just received another "warning" from the administration. If there are any more complaints about me, I will probably be finished here. I am continuing to take DPP-IV every day.