Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StacyA

An Email I Sent To All My Mental Health Colleagues

I thought I'd share an email I sent out to a bunch of mental health colleagues last week: counselors, social workers, psychiatrists. It's my hope they forward it to others:

Mental Health Colleagues:

To best serve our clients, we should always be increasing our knowledge. I hope this email contributes in some way.

Is celiac disease on your short list of rule-outs for patients? If not, please consider it.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune reaction to gluten - the protein found in wheat, barley and rye.

Symptoms vary widely, and some people are asymptomatic. Some common symptoms that alone may indicate further exploration include: unexplained fatigue, mood swings, depression, irritability, unexplained weight loss or gain, amenorrhea, unexplained infertility, dental enamel loss, GI distress, lactose intolerance, and nutritional deficiencies including anemia, vitamin K deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, and early osteoporosis. Family or patient history of other autoimmune disorders may also warrant a celiac screen.

Currently it is estimated that 1 in every 133 Americans have celiac disease, but 97% of them go undiagnosed. Could some of your patients be in that 97%?

I thought I was fairly educated on general medical conditions that may mimic or contribute to mental health disorders: mitral valve prolapse, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain disorders

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I hope they listen. Thanks for doing all you can to increase the awareness of this disease and its effects on mental health.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

You might have read my SSRI/bipolar horror story in bits and pieces in other posts. As a person who "fell through the cracks" I'm absolutely thrilled to see you doing this. I hope it makes a difference.

I'm just curious, I wonder why noone has done a PSA or a commerical. Do you think its because its a diet change and not a drug therapy?

Just think of all the money lost if people cut out gluten instead of taking prescriptions....all of the industries affected...drug companies, farmers, food manufacturers, weight loss companies...I often wonder if it is just lack of knowledge, education or if it is some grand conspiracy to keep us sick and spending.

My husband makes fun of me because I attribute so many issues to possible gluten intolerance...he says that I want everyone to suffer with a gluten-free diet along with me. While he laughs at me...he also double checks ingredient labels to make sure I don't 'glutenize' myself because I'm not fun to be around the 3-4 weeks following a gluten accident.

I thought I'd share an email I sent out to a bunch of mental health colleagues last week: counselors, social workers, psychiatrists. It's my hope they forward it to others:

Mental Health Colleagues:

To best serve our clients, we should always be increasing our knowledge. I hope this email contributes in some way.

Is celiac disease on your short list of rule-outs for patients? If not, please consider it.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune reaction to gluten - the protein found in wheat, barley and rye.

Symptoms vary widely, and some people are asymptomatic. Some common symptoms that alone may indicate further exploration include: unexplained fatigue, mood swings, depression, irritability, unexplained weight loss or gain, amenorrhea, unexplained infertility, dental enamel loss, GI distress, lactose intolerance, and nutritional deficiencies including anemia, vitamin K deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, and early osteoporosis. Family or patient history of other autoimmune disorders may also warrant a celiac screen.

Currently it is estimated that 1 in every 133 Americans have celiac disease, but 97% of them go undiagnosed. Could some of your patients be in that 97%?

I thought I was fairly educated on general medical conditions that may mimic or contribute to mental health disorders: mitral valve prolapse, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain disorders

I'm just curious, I wonder why noone has done a PSA or a commerical. Do you think its because its a diet change and not a drug therapy?

Gee didn't you see the constant press that celiac got last month during Celiac Awareness Month? Just kidding, I wish that was the case but yes I also think the reason we don't see PSAs or commericals is because of the fact that it is a diet change and not a drug treatment. Literally millions of dollars are made by the health industry and drug companies off us when we remain undiagnosed. It also means we are one of the unhealthiest countries in the world with a average death age that is going down rather than up at this point in history. Not to mention the money made from the scores of our population in prisons, many for drug related offenses, due to a pharmecologic society. We are also one of the few that allow drugs to be pushed over TV. We also have more of our population in prison than any other country in the world, bar none. But that is another subject.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)