This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Is Causing My Problems?

ToriMartin

ToriMartin Apprentice

I find myself getting stomach aches after I eat sometimes & not sure what caused it. I will start a food diary... I know I need to it's just that it's another thing on my list of things to do...

I eat Rice Noodle fried in Canola oil, Garlic Powder & Himalayan Salt. I also put some pork chop in it that was fried in the same stuff... Oh, & I had 2 small baked potatoes... I have been dairy free also so no sour cream or anything. I seem to have problems with either rice, garlic or the oil... Course if I kept a diary I'd of pinpointed it by now probably...

Also, I haven't had any tests for food allergies or anything. I had a blood test for Celiac which was negative. But I have always been allergic to Wheat Starch & Wheat Gluten. They give me horrible stomach pain & then it's like I have the worst flu ever for about2 days... Of course I haven't had a reaction to it for 10 years now. But Definitely allergic... Now since going gluten free a few weeks ago I have found that any gluten makes my stomach crampy, bloat, ect. My IBS kicks in alittle when I eat something I shouldn't but not as bad... I have to stay away from milk, avacado & corn now also... I can't believe how many foods have bothered me since starting this diet. Or rather... I've figured out & bother me more... I thought I was just Gluten Intolerant but now I'm wondering if I am Celiac. How do you tell the difference?

I've had major brobs for 12 years now but figured it was Thyroid (lot of the same symptoms) however now I wonder if the Thyroid is caused from the Gluten Intolerance/Celiac... Yes, I'm still pretty lost but looking hopeful lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lucia Enthusiast

It sounds like you are well on your way. It takes most people a long time to realize they have issues with gluten. That's a big step in itself. Besides that, a lot of people (including myself) struggle with giving up other foods, such as dairy and corn. Another common one that people have issues with is soy, which is found in many packaged foods. Your food diary should help you identify other foods you react to. If not, you can try an elimination diet.

As far as the difference between celiac and gluten intolerant, that is a medical question. Practically, you can't eat gluten with either one. Some doctors say that gluten intolerance is just a "younger" form of celiac, i.e. if you keep eating gluten, it will turn into celiac. A diagnosis of celiac depends on 1) a positive blood work for the gluten antibodies, and 2) flattened villi in the small intestine when viewed through an endoscopy. Note that you must be eating gluten to have these tests. However, the tests often have false negatives. Many of us on the forum have issues with gluten, but test negatively for celiac.

Welcome! Keep asking your questions.

T.H. Community Regular

If corn is bothering you, I would guess your problem could be the canola oil or the rice noodles. On some corn allergy sites, I've read that canola oil is a corn contamination risk (something about how it's processed, I believe?). Most oils were not, however. White rice is often polished using a corn product, and can be contaminated, too. So if the rice noodles were made from flour that was made from white rice, that might be a corn issue as well.

So, not sure what got ya, but corn is a definite possibility, depending on how sensitive you are to it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would drop the garlic powder and go with fresh garlic. I find it odd in myself that I can eat fresh garlic just fine but the powder makes my stomach hurt every time.

ToriMartin Apprentice

I would drop the garlic powder and go with fresh garlic. I find it odd in myself that I can eat fresh garlic just fine but the powder makes my stomach hurt every time.

Thank You everyone :)

I'm cooking with fresh garlic & not the powder now. I do think that was my problem :) I wonder if it's something in the process of making it?

I also bought more Olive Oil to test also. I had ran out of it which is why I was using Canola... For the rice noodle I think I'll test that another time. I didn't buy anymore so I won't eat it... I'm going to stay away from rice for awhile also :)

Archived