This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Barium Contrast Fot The Ct Of The Abdomen?

Simona19

Simona19 Collaborator

Hi!

Does anybody knows, if the bery or capucino barium contrast for the ct scan of the abdomen is gluten free? I had major trouble today during and after the test. It is 9 hours after, but I'm still not ok. Soon after I drank the first cappuccino mix I felt pain, bloated and I needed to use a bathroom 40 minutes later. It wasn't diarrhea. These days I'm more on the constipated side, but I'm going every day. Which is good. I hope. After hour they gave me the berry barium. It wasn't so bad. Before the actual test the technician gave mi to drink 1 cup of the capucino barium again. Instantly I had pain after I finished the barium. The procedure was very uncomfortable. After I got home I went to bathroom again, twice. Pain got from 10 to 4, but the bloathing and gas didn't stopped yet. In the evening I used bathroom one more time. I'm having strange feeling in my stomach, like it is empthy, or something is wrong, funy, odd. I don't know how to tell you what I'm feeling, but it isn't very good place where I want to be right know.

I also had an IV injected in other half of the test. I don't know what is causing this, but I don't like it.

Please, do you have any suggestions?

I didn't spelt "FOR" correctly in my toppic, sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I know several people who are not Celiac and have had problems with this. I think it must be hard on most people, if that's any comfort! :huh: Drink lots of water and flush that stuff out! Feel better soon!

cassP Contributor

I didn't spelt "FOR" correctly in my toppic, sorry.

omg hilarious- you're actually correct to write "spelt" (an alternative to "spelled")- but all i saw was SPELT as in an ancient form of wheat...

& does anybody know what exactly a barium & ct does that an Endo or Colonoscopy cant do??? isn't Barium toxic??? i'd love to understand it all

kareng Grand Master

omg hilarious- you're actually correct to write "spelt" (an alternative to "spelled")- but all i saw was SPELT as in an ancient form of wheat...

& does anybody know what exactly a barium & ct does that an Endo or Colonoscopy cant do??? isn't Barium toxic??? i'd love to understand it all

I think it coats the stomach, etc so it will show better on xray. It's "not envasive". An endo or colonoscopy sends a snake like thing down into the stomach & intestines or up the other way. You can take pics or little nibbles or even remove something a little bigger like a polyp.

I think barium is OK in small doses. It's not like you would want a glass everyday for breakfast. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not all of the barium solutions are gluten free your doctor needs to write gluten free on the orders. I was made very ill by some of them and because I have DH the doctors will not allow me to have the radioactive iodine. The solutions I have had since diagnosed are the consistancy of water rather than the thick milkshake consistancy of the ones I had before that made me so very ill.

sa1937 Community Regular

does anybody know what exactly a barium & ct does that an Endo or Colonoscopy cant do??? isn't Barium toxic??? i'd love to understand it all

The abdominal CT scan will show up areas that the endo and colonoscopy can't reach.

Don't know if the barium is toxic or not. I had to drink 3 bottles of VoLumen (about 16 oz. each) in 45 min. prior to my CT scan. I made the hospital check to be sure the VoLumen was gluten free...it is. Regardless, I paid a price for it for the balance of the day. Major D and I felt like crap until about 8 p.m. (my scan was at 10 a.m.). My abdomen bubbled and gurgled during that whole time (never had that bad a problem prior to be diagnosed with celiac).

cassP Contributor

The abdominal CT scan will show up areas that the endo and colonoscopy can't reach.

Don't know if the barium is toxic or not. I had to drink 3 bottles of VoLumen (about 16 oz. each) in 45 min. prior to my CT scan. I made the hospital check to be sure the VoLumen was gluten free...it is. Regardless, I paid a price for it for the balance of the day. Major D and I felt like crap until about 8 p.m. (my scan was at 10 a.m.). My abdomen bubbled and gurgled during that whole time (never had that bad a problem prior to be diagnosed with celiac).

in continuation of what u said about feeling crampy afterwards.... *and anyone else chime in if u want! -

did u ever have a colonoscopy??? and took a while to recover afterwards?? for example- MOST people either feel NO cramping/painful gas after one... and some people have painful cramping for the rest of the day... i HOWEVER had painful cramping/gas for like 5 days!!!!! has anyone else had that reaction??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Some doctors inflate the colon with air and this causes a lot of gas after. My father's Gi did it that way. My GI did not do that so I didn't have the problem.

How come we have people on here from all types of jobs and expertise but no one who works with GI patients? I guess we would scare them off with our questions. ;)

cassP Contributor

Some doctors inflate the colon with air and this causes a lot of gas after. My father's Gi did it that way. My GI did not do that so I didn't have the problem.

How come we have people on here from all types of jobs and expertise but no one who works with GI patients? I guess we would scare them off with our questions. ;)

REALLY??? only SOME docs inflate with gas- i thought they all did to see better??? oy vey- unneccesary discomfort... i dislike doctors

sa1937 Community Regular

in continuation of what u said about feeling crampy afterwards.... *and anyone else chime in if u want! -

did u ever have a colonoscopy??? and took a while to recover afterwards?? for example- MOST people either feel NO cramping/painful gas after one... and some people have painful cramping for the rest of the day... i HOWEVER had painful cramping/gas for like 5 days!!!!! has anyone else had that reaction??

I have not yet had a colonoscopy but it's on the agenda soon...my DIL's side of the family has been dealing with some serious health issues. Since that's just now over, my son said to go ahead and schedule one, which I'll do on Mon.

I can't say I was crampy following my Ct scan but had horrible D, bubbling and gurgling, which didn't go away until 8 p.m. Am sure it was because of the barium.

Following my endo, I was so terribly bloated with lots of gas. Once I got rid of it a few hours later, I felt fine. The GI doc did pump air into my stomach to be able to get a better look. And I'm sure he'll do the same for the colonoscopy. Not looking forward to that or the prep for it so I don't quite know yet what to expect.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have not yet had a colonoscopy but it's on the agenda soon...my DIL's side of the family has been dealing with some serious health issues. Since that's just now over, my son said to go ahead and schedule one, which I'll do on Mon.

I can't say I was crampy following my Ct scan but had horrible D, bubbling and gurgling, which didn't go away until 8 p.m. Am sure it was because of the barium.

Following my endo, I was so terribly bloated with lots of gas. Once I got rid of it a few hours later, I felt fine. The GI doc did pump air into my stomach to be able to get a better look. And I'm sure he'll do the same for the colonoscopy. Not looking forward to that or the prep for it so I don't quite know yet what to expect.

Just make sure the prep they give you for the colonoscopy is gluten free, have your doctor write it on the script. Hopefully I will go well for you.

sa1937 Community Regular

Just make sure the prep they give you for the colonoscopy is gluten free, have your doctor write it on the script. Hopefully I will go well for you.

Thanks! I know it's a pretty routine procedure...now if only the prep wasn't so ugly. lol

Definitely! I even had my pharmacist at RiteAid print out the ingredients of any meds I take, including eye drops.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

If the brand name of the product is E-Z Em all but three of their products are gluten free. I had the doctor write on the referral that the product should be gluten free and then the tech person called the company when I was waiting for the test.

See this post:

cassP Contributor

... colonoscopy. Not looking forward to that or the prep for it so I don't quite know yet what to expect.

ohhhh- the prep is a ROYAL PAIN.. altho honestly the actually drinking the liquid and having the "D" aren't as bad as the NOT EATING for 24 hours (hard for me!)

the procedure itself is a BREEZE.

the painful gas (for me) was MISERABLE- untill i was able to get home on a heating pad-

sa1937 Community Regular

If the brand name of the product is E-Z Em all but three of their products are gluten free. I had the doctor write on the referral that the product should be gluten free and then the tech person called the company when I was waiting for the test.

See this post:

http://www.celiac.co..._1&#entry628368

Is that product used for a CT scan or a colonoscopy?

sa1937 Community Regular

ohhhh- the prep is a ROYAL PAIN.. altho honestly the actually drinking the liquid and having the "D" aren't as bad as the NOT EATING for 24 hours (hard for me!)

the procedure itself is a BREEZE.

the painful gas (for me) was MISERABLE- untill i was able to get home on a heating pad-

I should have had it done sooner...like when I was used to living in the bathroom while waiting for my endo. tongue.gif While I still have some issues, they pale in comparison!

I honestly think the hardest part for me will be the liquid diet and not eating solid food the day before. I'm such a munch mouth. And the worst part of the endo was the terrible bloating and gas afterwards...the procedure itself wasn't that bad although I was pretty nervous since I had never had it done before.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

So sorry your are sick. Always double check that the product being used if gluten free. I always question them especially if it is flavored.

Archived