This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nighttime "accidents"

WVSweetie Pie

WVSweetie Pie Rookie

I have been gluten -free for about 2 years and dairy free for less than a year after developing "intolerances" in the year following colon resection. I take the probiotic PB8 regularly. For the past couple of months it seems as though i have a BM any time I use the bathroom. Many times, it is diarrhea, sometimes it is like mud, and sometimes it is tiny pieces. Sometimes, it floats, other times it does not. (It does not get light colored)(Sorry, TMI, I know!) Sometimes during the night I evidently pass some gas and with it stool. This doesn't happen every night. After having to clean up some messes, I have taken to wearing adult diapers at night.

Does anyone else experience this during sleep? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiactapper Newbie

I don't have this problem, but it sounds as though your gut needs to be healed. Have you tried taking L-glutamine? At celiac conferences, this has been recommended because it heals the gut so well. Metagenics medical food is also good.

WVSweetie Pie Rookie

I don't have this problem, but it sounds as though your gut needs to be healed. Have you tried taking L-glutamine? At celiac conferences, this has been recommended because it heals the gut so well. Metagenics medical food is also good.

I've never heard of these products. Where would you find them? And tell me more about celiac conferences. Where do you find those? Thanks for your information and interest.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You say this problem started a couple months ago. Were you having normal BM's before that? If you were what changed in your diet or life? Did you add a new med or are you taking a generic (they can change binders at will) or a new supplement, start a remodeling project, start eating out at restaurants that you hadn't been going to before, got a new pet, changed toiletries? What is your typical diet? Are you going with whole unprocessed foods as much as possible? It sounds like you may have gluten sneaking in somewhere or if you are still consuming dairy you may have developed an intolerance to it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My daughter suggested it to me after seeing an accident when I had ingested gluten somehow. It's got to be embarrassing buying them, but probably better than cleaning up the mess. Maybe I should try it. So far it hasn't happened in the bed. I am a very light sleeper. It has happened right next to the bed though. I hope you improve soon. No one should have to deal with that.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I had severe nerve damage when I was first diagnosed so I had issues with this also. It has thankfully resolved to a great extent in the last few years but I found this company to be great while I was still healing. No embarrassment at the store and the people on the other end of the phone are really nice.

Open Original Shared Link

WVSweetie Pie Rookie

You say this problem started a couple months ago. Were you having normal BM's before that? If you were what changed in your diet or life? Did you add a new med or are you taking a generic (they can change binders at will) or a new supplement, start a remodeling project, start eating out at restaurants that you hadn't been going to before, got a new pet, changed toiletries? What is your typical diet? Are you going with whole unprocessed foods as much as possible? It sounds like you may have gluten sneaking in somewhere or if you are still consuming dairy you may have developed an intolerance to it.

Let me say that this problem really intensified 6-8 wks. ago. It was only occasional before then. My BM's were pretty normal before then (since my colon resection almost 3 yrs. ago.) Nothing has changed in my life and as far as meds, I've not changed anything. Most of them are generic and come from India, so it has been a dead-end trying to find out contents. I do not eat anything processed, cook my own foods, rarely eat out, have a dedicated toaster, and make my bread from Bob's Red Mill multi-grain mixes. I added dairy to my list of things to avoid probably 6 or 8 mos. ago when I determined that it was a problem, too. I'm wondering now if I need to look at soy.

I am self-diagnosed through what I've experienced and learned. As I mentioned before, this sensitivity began during the year of 2007 after I had had a colon resection for repeated, serious episodes of ischemic colitis. Before that time, I had always had severe constipation. I had a blood test about a year ago which was negative (as I knew it would be because I wasn't consuming gluten). I know those tests are worthless anyway.

I'm just kind of looking at this as my becoming more sensitive to the same things?? Before 6-8 wks. ago, I was pretty stable with my non-gluten and non-dairy lifestyle. I try to be careful with cc since my husband is not sensitive to gluten. I have not changed cosmetics or shampoos.

I'm up very early this a.m. since I had to get up and clean myself up again. (Thank goodness for that "diaper.")I guess I'm to the point that maybe I need to go back to my GI doc. again to make sure nothing else is going on, but I realize that as far as sensitivites, I probably know more than he does.

I guess one of my main questions, ravenwood glass, is did you/others experience the same symptoms of varying BM's (sometimes like mud, sometimes little pieces that float, just occasionally sometimes frothy but not light in color, and accidents at night? Is this normal given the gluten/dairy intolerances?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WVSweetie Pie Rookie

My daughter suggested it to me after seeing an accident when I had ingested gluten somehow. It's got to be embarrassing buying them, but probably better than cleaning up the mess. Maybe I should try it. So far it hasn't happened in the bed. I am a very light sleeper. It has happened right next to the bed though. I hope you improve soon. No one should have to deal with that.

Yes, the "diapers" make a world of difference. You only have to clean yourself up rather than your surroundings. Thanks for the good wishes.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

It could be that you have become more sensitive to trace gluten. As I did, I found that I could no longer eat "gluten free" flours. I started buying my grains whole, sorting through them, washing with soap, rinse, dry and grind to make my own flour. That way I didn't need the diapers. I found recently that I need to peel my peaches. That caused the same problem twice before I figured it out. Some peaches were worse than others. Probably applies to all fruits.

But, maybe first you should check your meds.

jjb1234 Rookie

I have been gluten -free for about 2 years and dairy free for less than a year after developing "intolerances" in the year following colon resection. I take the probiotic PB8 regularly. For the past couple of months it seems as though i have a BM any time I use the bathroom. Many times, it is diarrhea, sometimes it is like mud, and sometimes it is tiny pieces. Sometimes, it floats, other times it does not. (It does not get light colored)(Sorry, TMI, I know!) Sometimes during the night I evidently pass some gas and with it stool. This doesn't happen every night. After having to clean up some messes, I have taken to wearing adult diapers at night.

Does anyone else experience this during sleep? Thanks.

I do not have this problem but have known of some that have.

Some of the time the problem is not just gluten and or dairy but all grains and other types of carbs.

Have you considered the SCD (specific carb diet)?

Here is some info:

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Most of them are generic and come from India, so it has been a dead-end trying to find out contents.

You may just be becoming more sensitive. But can you ask you doctor to switch you to meds that you can check on? Generics can change the binders whenever they choose and a med that was safe at last script may not be now. I am on a prescrition generic and my druggest checks at each refill. When the doctor finds a med that is for sure safe make sure they write DAW in the box on the bottom of the script. You may have to change to name brand for some drugs but it the meds are causing this it will be worth the extra expense.

You could also have other issues or intolerances coming into play so make sure you mention this to your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
undiagnosed2years Newbie

I don't have "accidents" at night, but sometimes when I know I have bad D I'll wear a pad at work, just in case. I lift heavy products at work and the bathroom is like a mile away. I think you should see a doctor about this.

finally diagnosed Apprentice

Let me say that this problem really intensified 6-8 wks. ago. It was only occasional before then. My BM's were pretty normal before then (since my colon resection almost 3 yrs. ago.) Nothing has changed in my life and as far as meds, I've not changed anything. Most of them are generic and come from India, so it has been a dead-end trying to find out contents. I do not eat anything processed, cook my own foods, rarely eat out, have a dedicated toaster, and make my bread from Bob's Red Mill multi-grain mixes. I added dairy to my list of things to avoid probably 6 or 8 mos. ago when I determined that it was a problem, too. I'm wondering now if I need to look at soy.

I am self-diagnosed through what I've experienced and learned. As I mentioned before, this sensitivity began during the year of 2007 after I had had a colon resection for repeated, serious episodes of ischemic colitis. Before that time, I had always had severe constipation. I had a blood test about a year ago which was negative (as I knew it would be because I wasn't consuming gluten). I know those tests are worthless anyway.

I'm just kind of looking at this as my becoming more sensitive to the same things?? Before 6-8 wks. ago, I was pretty stable with my non-gluten and non-dairy lifestyle. I try to be careful with cc since my husband is not sensitive to gluten. I have not changed cosmetics or shampoos.

I'm up very early this a.m. since I had to get up and clean myself up again. (Thank goodness for that "diaper.")I guess I'm to the point that maybe I need to go back to my GI doc. again to make sure nothing else is going on, but I realize that as far as sensitivites, I probably know more than he does.

I guess one of my main questions, ravenwood glass, is did you/others experience the same symptoms of varying BM's (sometimes like mud, sometimes little pieces that float, just occasionally sometimes frothy but not light in color, and accidents at night? Is this normal given the gluten/dairy intolerances?

Thanks for your interest and help.

I do hope you find your answer. Anytime someone has a change in bowel habits that have lasted a while you should check with your GI esp after having a colon resection.. you mind need to have an upper and lower GI x/ray with a bowel follow through, just to make sure you are not impacted (which you can produce loose icky stools) or something else going on with your colon. Mixed incontinence is not an aging process (i don't know your age) so anytime there is an issue, if you can you should follow up to r/o medical as well as try elimating and checking on your products as others suggested.

Good Luck

Archived